adium question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by miles01110, Aug 9, 2006.

1. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Is there something I can change to make it so that when I close the lid on my MBP it doesn't sign me off Adium? I was poking around the system settings but couldn't find anything that seemed like it would work....

Thanks!

2. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I don't believe so.

Shutting the lid puts the MBP to sleep, correct? (Im assuming it is the same as the iBook I had).

In that case, your machine is not running and is disconnected from the internet.

No connection, and your adium has no way of telling the servers you're still on.

It is the same as to why you cannot stay logged on after shutting down.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Not really. The problem is not with Adium or with closing the lid. The problem is with sleeping. When your computer sleeps it is impossible to keep any program running/active over the internet, therefore you are logged out of Adium.

The one and only way to make it not log out when you close the lid is to not have it go to sleep when you close the lid. Unfortunatly, this is something that no one has really figured out how to do. Search around and there on discussions about having Macs not sleep when closing the lid.

4. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

you could get Sleepless, which keeps your computer from going to sleep when you close the lid, but then there's always the risk of it overheating and such, so you wouldn't want it to be doing anything stressful when you do that, but you could keep adium running if you wish, to finish that big file transfer or whatever ;)

5. miles01110 thread starter macrumors Core

miles01110

thanks everyone-

comic, that was what i was looking for :)