Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hello!

i use adium and it's fantastic. makes me happy.

i use ichat for video and audio when i need it.

but it's been a while, is there a better program? perhaps even one that not only consolidates many chat programs but does video/audio as well?

thanks

r.

dubels

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
I use adium for just regular chat but I have to use amsn to use the isight on my macbook for webcam chats.

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Ichat has everything I want in a chatting program. I have a difficult time using tabs on a chatting program I tend to close the whole window and lose all my tabs :(

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Jopling said:
Ichat has everything I want in a chatting program. I have a difficult time using tabs on a chatting program I tend to close the whole window and lose all my tabs :(
That's a really lame excuse to not use Adium...

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
I use Adium for over a year now, and it never let me down. Great work done on this little piece of software...

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
why does it seem that file transfers in adium is unreliable?

i was just able to recieve files, but when sending them nothing worked!

frustrating....

otherwise great prog though...

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
I am actually not a big fan of Adium

I found Adium had a bad habit of crashing my dock in an otherwise rock steady system mainly when I went to shut it down my holding down the mouse button when clicking its icon in the dock.

Went over to use Proteus and never looked back liked the way things can be controlled so well from menu bar

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
Will I be able to use iChat with MSN? Here in the UK, most people use MSN, whereas most people in the USA and other use AOL. I've only ever seen iChat used iwth AOL, so can I still use iChat? If not, do I need Adium and do all my friends?

Cheers

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Mac Rules said:
Will I be able to use iChat with MSN? Here in the UK, most people use MSN, whereas most people in the USA and other use AOL. I've only ever seen iChat used iwth AOL, so can I still use iChat? If not, do I need Adium and do all my friends?

Cheers

No..ichat will not work with msn..only AIM (AOL)..i use ichat for MSN and AIM at the same time..i find it EXTREMELY convenent so i dont need to have 2 chat apps running at once..but i do wish ichat had MSN so i could use it for video/voice chat.....

evands

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2001
Decatur, GA
DerChef said:
I found Adium had a bad habit of crashing my dock in an otherwise rock steady system mainly when I went to shut it down my holding down the mouse button when clicking its icon in the dock.
I don't recall ever seeing a bug report ticket on this problem (from you or from other users)... if you'd like to submit one we'd be happy to try to fix your problem. :)

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
oldnavy1918 said:
No..ichat will not work with msn..only AIM (AOL)..i use ichat for MSN and AIM at the same time..i find it EXTREMELY convenent so i dont need to have 2 chat apps running at once..but i do wish ichat had MSN so i could use it for video/voice chat.....

OK, I found this above highlighted line, more than sightly confusing, can somebody just clarify.

Cheers

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
So basically, I can only use AIM for video chats on iChat, but for MSN I have to either use MSN or Adium?

Its not a huge problem I guess, I just hope Apple incorporates some sort of MSN support in the final iChat SW....

Cheers

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I used to use Adium, then someone recommended the plug-in Chax on here. It is really a great plug in for iChat and pretty much gets rid of all the things I didn't like about iChat. It has auto-accept of incoming chats, so no more having to hit accept. It also enables Tabbed windows, the biggest feature IMO. There are a ton more features that it adds and I would recommend to anyone using iChat to download it.

To me, it makes iChat just about as good as Adium, at least, it added all the features which made me use Adium in the first place.

Check it Out.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
I used to use Adium (for MSN) and iChat for video (with my wife when one of us travels and we want to use video)..

now we're both just using Skype, mainly. and I'm slowly converting my friends to it too... if I could ditch the MSN use all together that would be nice.. slowly!

mazzy150

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2006
I use skype for chat and video an voip,the beta version for mac with video is great,my mac does'nt get hot like it says on the download.hope this helps,oh it is also totally free.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
I have Chax downloaded and use it whenever a lazy friend wants to talk. But I say download friggin teamspeak. It aint a system/internet hogging whore.

keithbennis

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2006
Coral Springs
I use Adium mainly because when you hover over screen names, the popup info box is much nicer and contains more info than iChats ugly yellow box. Until iChat makes theirs similar to Adiums..... I'll continue using Adium :D

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
But...

Is adium better than iChat used with iChax? (gives iChat tabbed browsing).

And yes, it is possible to use MSN with iChat through Jabber, isn't it?

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
Heres a new question, if Microsoft were to release an updated version of Messenger for Mac which incorporated video like the current Live Messenger, then would iChat be able to use Messenger to provide video convosations with otehr MSN and Mac users? Sorry if this is a really simple question.

Cheers

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2006
Mercury Messenger RC Builds 1.8 work like a charm for webcam. I also find the conversation windows a lot more helpful and they just plain look like Aqua. Adium looks more like Windows 98 to me but that's just me. In any case I love Mercury. And the webcam works perfectly well with it.

Notice that the webcam will not work with the normal mercury messenger. You have to get one of the RC builds for it to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.