Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I use Adium for Jabber chats simply because ichat doesn't support passwords for group chats (Please if I have this wrong then tell me how). I wish ichat was updated to allow this simple feature.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I used Adium for a year, just switched to iChat. And I think I'm here to stay.

Adium crashes on me, doesn't support video, has file transfer problems. The only thing that Adium one-ups iChat on is that it has a chat log manager. If I could have a log manager for iChat, I'd be so set.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
sulhaq said:
Mercury Messenger RC Builds 1.8 work like a charm for webcam. I also find the conversation windows a lot more helpful and they just plain look like Aqua. Adium looks more like Windows 98 to me but that's just me. In any case I love Mercury. And the webcam works perfectly well with it.

Notice that the webcam will not work with the normal mercury messenger. You have to get one of the RC builds for it to work.

Not sure what "normal" is but webcams worked with 1710 (1.7.1.0) which had been out for around a year and since 1.8 is final, you shouldn't be using a release candidate build.

Skype's video chat supposedly works but I haven't hooked up with anyone yet. It was revised recently to use less CPU time.

When the new Yahoo! client is finished, it will provide access to MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger Live friends because of the agreement. The video should be reasonable and voice is to be added.

Also, there were rumours about iChat for Leopard supporting MSN and Yahoo!, but maybe that's just extrapolation from Address Book supporting that information in Tiger. iChat + Chax works nicely, though I wonder what's going to happen with Leopard since Apple are supporting some of the functionality directly in iChat.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
sulhaq said:
Adium looks more like Windows 98 to me but that's just me.

aduim is highy configurable! :D You can actually make it look like windows 95 if you want.... I use aduim because most of my friends are on MSN and the official msn client is terrible and ichat doesnt support msn.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2006
Yeah I just never bothered to update from th RC build since it was working okay I didnt even check for updates. I upgraded to final 1.8 now thanks for the info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.