Adivce on new hardware purchase

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Oid, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Oid macrumors member

Mar 7, 2003
    I'm looking to replace my aging 12" ibook with either a new 12" ibook or perhaps a 12" powerbook.

Obviously the powerbook is a little quicker, though the ibook seems sturdier.

What I wanted to ask is I know Apple tends to upgrade hardware every so often, isn't it approximiately every 6 months? When exactly were the 12" powerbooks introduced, I believe it was January?

Of course the rumoured new processors may throw the timings out of the window, but I'm just trying to estimate if its worth waiting a few months to see what happens with any possible new machines.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    The iBook range has just been updated (like 2-3 days ago) so if you decide to get an iBook now is the time to buy. The 12" PB probably has 3 months or so to go till it is updated. If you can wait 3 months (and really want a PB) then wait.

On the issue of speed the new iBooks have a 900Mhz G3. The PowerBook has a 867Mhz G4. In some code (most non altivec stuff) the G3 will actually be faster.
  3. Oid thread starter macrumors member

Mar 7, 2003
    Sorry to respond to my own post...

I just read the thread on the new ibooks, and it seems the new powerbooks were introduced first week of January, so they COULD be due for an update in June... Therefore I may wait and see, tho the ibook has more cache, which may make up for its G3 verus G4.. Anyone know of any specs available on the web?

The pictures of the new 12" white plastic ibooks look a bit horrible, have to see one in the flesh...
  4. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2002
  5. KingArthur macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2001
    Marion, Ohio
    No. 1: It depends what you are using the laptop for. If you are doing graphic stuff, you may be better off with the G4, but if you just surf the web, do light graphic stuff, and word processing, I don't think the G4 will make all that difference. The biggest difference in performance is in the OSX interface which has been optimized for AltiVec. I'm pretty sure most of the Quartz is altivec enhanced.
    No. 2: How much are you looking to spend? The G4 is going to be more expensive but at the same time, if you need the power, go for it.

I would personally spend the extra little money on the 900Mhz iBook b/c no 1, lots of people have had problems with the 12" PB, and no 2, usually, when you get the low end of a line, you are getting the not so good parts. There is also the heat issue with the 12" PB. I would recomend going to one of the Apple stores and trying both of them out so you can decide based also on how it feels.