Adjust Bass Level?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sv2, Jun 1, 2008.

1. sv2
    macrumors newbie

Hello

How do i adjust the level of bass on my headphones? I am wondering because when I hook them into a pc with XP, I can do it from the volume control menu. However in Mac OS X there appears to be no option in the sound options (system preferences > hardware > sound)

Please don't tell me it's up to each individual program, or that the headphones need a bass volume wheel. :confused:

Thanks

anyone?

2. macrumors regular

iTunes has an equalizer. Otherwise I don't know. Let me check something. Back in a bit.

3. macrumors 68040

Killyp

It can't be done with OS X's own sound system - for good reason.

You could always try an external headphone amp which may have bass/treble controls?

4. macrumors regular

Quicktime Pro offers an equalizer as well.

As far as a global EQ, I don't know of any such program. I went to VersionTracker and they had nothing.

What exactly are you needing the extra bass for?

5. macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, why do you think it's "for good reason?" Say you happen to have a sub in your setup, you live in an apartment, but even at the minimal setting, the sub annoys the neighbors. Should you just suck it up and say, "Boy. I sure with I was an Apple fanboy and believed that everything Apple did was for the best. At least then I'd feel alright with throwing away this perfectly good sub because I can't adjust the bass levels."

6. macrumors newbie

I missing this function too, has anyone found some kind of global equalizer for OS X?

I have no way to equalize sound when listening to music from an applications that's not iTunes, internet radio for example.

7. macrumors member

8. macrumors newbie

9. macrumors 6502a

What is that reason and how come Windows and Linux developers haven't heard about it yet?

10. macrumors newbie

To me this functionality is something I would naturally look on any platform. I agree with Matek

11. macrumors newbie

12. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Another first-time poster resurrecting a 2 year old thread to add nothing of value. :rolleyes:

One of the methods is to use Boom.

13. macrumors newbie

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/
    It can sometimes introduce latency so it might not be ideal for video.

The demo limitations are lax enough that depending on what you want to do you may be able to use it forever.

(but ya should buy it) ;)

14. macrumors regular

I too would like to know a solution. I want to cut some of the bass that comes out of ALL of OS X.

The reason - since so many OS X users are so judgmental - is because I have a sound system that REEKS of too much bass. I DO have speaker control of it and even then it's WAY too overpowering and colors what I hear. I've gotten used to it, but I don't want to get used to it - I need to make better mixes here and this isn't helping when I go to compare it to popular tracks in a genre.

So I'm wondering the same thing. How can I cut the bass BEYOND what my hardware allows for ALL applications (spotify, DVD player, etc...)

thanks!

15. macrumors regular

don't know how I missed this the first time. trying it out now.

16. Guest

SABOND21

*** Boom - may be not bad App, but their EQ is not (in my opinion good)

*** Hear (by JoeSoft) - may be better than Boom since it has mush more option some of which doesn't work properly (such as EQ, when its resolution is set to more than 32 octaves it start to distort sound)

*** Apples AU lab - I think is the best option. Install Soundflower than download AU Lab, unzip, open DMG and copy to Applications "AU Lab", than open "Correction.trak" by it. You may need Xcode to download (but I am not sure). One good thing about AU Lab is that you can use not just 1 EQ, but also compressors and others VST plugins and audio units.

17. Artsy2, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

macrumors newbie

I followed these steps and it worked so thank you SABOND21. Can you tell me if there are some presets such as low or medium bass? <I don't feel like setting the equalizer frequencies myself in a real hazardous way>

18. nmckaskle, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

macrumors newbie

I have the same exact problem. I need to lower my bass so my neighbor stops complaining despite reasonable volume levels. I think it is ridiculous that Apple has not added this ability over the past several OS version upgrades.

19. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you check out Boom, as recommended earlier?

20. macrumors newbie

I read their website but I didn't see anything about adjusting bass up and down, just boosting it, I'll check again in the app store.

21. macrumors newbie

adjusting sound on itunes through equalizer

hi guys,

i was having the same problem with my (recently-owned!) mac, cause of my speakers/subwoofer + living in an apartment.

i know this is kind of an old thread, but i believe you can actually change the bass levels through the equalizer in itunes (itunes > window > equalizer). there, you'll find different settings, as well as one labelled 'bass reducer'. or you can manually adjust the levels and bring them down a notch.

hope this helps.

22. macrumors newbie

This is about the bass outside of iTunes, that would have no effect.

23. Guest

SABOND21

Correction about Soundflower use

The new version of soundflower is available - search the google. The second thing: before creating new project in AU Lab select as audio output source Soundflower in your system settings and only than create project in AU Lab (New->Audio Input Device: Soundflower->Audio Output Device: Your Output Device). I recommend to use as correction tool for speakers FabFilter Pro-Q Equalizer.