Adjustable Displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 4, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

LoopRumors claims that the displays may be redesigned in the future for more adjustability.

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

They'd still need a decent base to hold it down. And if it was a 23" it would have to be a pretty big base - sort of defeating the purpose of a thin panel.

But I can't wait to see the new designs!

D

3. macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

It'd be nice if it was as adjustable as the iMac display. Maybe even do the same set-up, but with a very small and dense/heavy base. That way it would have a small footprint, but because you don't need to worry about what is stored in there they could make it heavy enough to counteract the torque from a 23". Hmmmm, anyone know if OLED's are lighter than other screens? I think they are, and that would help a lot. Just a thought.

4. macrumors regular

well, they can't exactly get any LESS adjustable...

5. macrumors member

Sorry to spam a post just to say that cracked me up...but that really made me laugh...

6. macrumors regular

How 'bout

Portrait, please

7. macrumors member

wouldn't it be cool to have a heavy base w/ optical drive, firewire ports, USB, and iPod dock? All with a single cable going to the CPU...

That way the base could be heavy and have as much adjustibility as the iMac- kinda like the really thin sony displays that have the seperate box, but connect the display to the box and put an optical drive and stuff in there.

8. macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

Re: How 'bout

You may want this (and I would while playing MAME!) but I don't think there's a large demand for it. Maybe we need a poll for this question!

9. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

OLEDS are in every way better than LCDS. Lighter, more effecient, and just plain better.

10. macrumors member

Yes, and you shouldn't expect affordable OLED displays in the 17" and up range for another two years, and even then they'll probably be pretty expensive until the manufacturing process is completely refined.

11. macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

OLED prices are getting better. The catch is that nobody has even ventured into the world of big OLEDs. Remember, Think Secret thinks that's where Apple's displays are headed.

But, about the LCD rumor, this is a truly vague report from LoopRumors if I ever one. It's more speculation and wishful thinking than anything else. They don't even explain how it would really work.

12. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i actually read that OLEDS are also easier to make, with less required parts to assemble than LCDS.

13. macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

More Flexible

I know I like my original 15 inch LCD betetr than my ADC 15 screen. I liek the tilt, swivel and height adjustments.
    In the day of ergonomics, this is an area where adjustability is key. One big complaint I have heard about apple monitors is that is requires an expensive desk to properly adjust the screen to the user, while a cheaper screen or PC can be adjusted to most desks to a safe viewing placement.
    I think the introduction of screens with more adjustments will be welcome in many settings that take ergonomics seriosuly and for those with some limited desk realestate.

14. jg3
    macrumors member

I still love my 15-inch Studio Display to pieces. It's very adjustable, stylish, and you can even take it off its base. I hope Apple goes with something like it again.

[​IMG]

15. macrumors 65816

yzedf

The entire powermac line, tower / displays / keyboard / mouse all need freshing up. It was slick looking 2 years ago... but now it is just MOTS (more of the same).

16. macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

how much less adjustable are they than other brand lcd's? i have an el cheapo 15" lcd that i rarely use, and it's actually less adjustable than the apple ones.

how heavy is the 23"?

17. macrumors 68020

This is GREAT if it's true - as far as I can tell, my 15" is almost completely non-adjustable, altho it is a beautiful pixel-perfect monitor... but LoopRumors hasn't been accurate in the past. Definitely page 2.

18. macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Ditto on that. Except for the 17" iMac. I still think this is the sexiest machine ever built (not counting the Cherry 2000).

19. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

the 23" is 25.3lbs

coutesy MacTracker:D

20. macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

hmm. at first i thought, damn that's heavy...but then i saw This 23" LCD a simple pedistal like this gets about a 25 degree tilt and a 90 degree swivel. and this thing weighs about 40lbs.

21. macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Well that's not that heavy when you consider that my 21" Sony CRT weighs 60 lbs...

22. macrumors regular

It's not just the adjustability that needs to change. The current Apple LCD monitors are huge, with tons of wasted space.

Notice how large the bezel is on an Apple 17" Studio display compared to an NEC display. Apple's 17" monitors are as big as other companies' 19" LCD monitors.

They need to be sleeker. That should also make them lighter.

23. macrumors 65816

zach

I don't really know if this is just me, or if it is some non-Apple monitor, but has anyone seen the picture at the bottom of the WWDC page on apple.com?

Sure looks to me like an adjustable display....

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/

Right there.

Someone please just let me know if i am seeing things or what...

24. macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

sorry. that's just a 15" LCD imac. :)

25. macrumors 65816

zach

really?

i dont see the iMac base...

Oh well, i probably just dont see things like most people do.. lol

Thanx for clearing that up.