Admin authorization and SMJobBless

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by lokoArt, Jan 18, 2012.

1. lokoArt, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

macrumors newbie

Hi guys!
    Please help me)
    My program needs in admin privilege.
    I downloaded this sample http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#samplecode/SMJobBless/Listings/ReadMe_txt.html

It shows how to bless my helper tool.
    After run in /Library/launchDaemons exists com.apple.bsd.SMJoblessHelper.plist
    and in /Library/privilegedhelpertools/ exist my helper tool.

Please say me. How run my helper tool?
    I guess that I have to load and start daemon, but how it can?
    I'm disappointed...

2. macrumors G5

gnasher729

Why do you need administrator privileges? First, it means that your application will never, ever be able to be on the App Store. Second, it means that I would be very, very reluctant to use your software.

And it is _impossible_ to run your helper tool without the user entering their password at some point, if that is what you are trying to achieve.

3. r0k
    macrumors 68040

r0k

I wrote an app that starts and stops a daemon. I have had a handful of complaints from users that don't want to enter an Admin password to do so. I say too bad. If you're app is doing something as admin and you're trying to find a way around entering an admin password, my question is why? Convenience never outweighs security.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... I'm doing it because my pkg installed in Lion with admin privilegies, and owner of my application is root. I have to fix it. And I decided that I'll not use SMJobBless.