Admin Note: Re DemiGods etc...

Discussion in 'Community' started by arn, Jun 14, 2002.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hey all,

I've moved all the threads over to their own board regarding the whole Demi-God thing as well as the DGVPG.

I personally agree with AmbitiousLemon on this one. The Demi-God/Mug Donation thing was never about creating an "us vs them" mentality, and I think it's gone a bit far in terms of taking over discussions in this forums. It's no coincidence that the most frequent posters are the ones who have contributed and become DemiGods.... and I do appreciate the contributions and efforts by these members to get others to contribute as well.

However... I feel it's infiltrated the entirety of the discusions and made things a little less fun for the rest of us (myself included).

Contributions are very much appreciated and I thank anyone who has donated their own money towards helping fund this site. Every bit helps, and it does come with benefits... however, I also welcome all comers to this site/board regardless of ability to contribute financially. Rumor discussions and community discussions are also important, and posting and helping the others in the community is also invaluable.

arn

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

The ironic part here is that we had pretty much agreed to wrap it up now.....

The only way in which i feel it became an "us vs them" was in regards to actual contributions. where 'they' could not see what 'we' were saying in the private forums. Apart from that, i haven't felt any particular allegiance to any group, other than perhaps those who post regularly and whom i recognise.

Obviously it hasn't quite come across that way.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm somewhat surprised at the whole turn of events and want you all to know, that as britboy mentioned, we had planned to revert back to things before the dgvpg came around.

We never intended it to be an "us vs. them" issue. It was done to create an air of mystery, not elitism. Hopefully this will become a side note soon and part of MR history.

I'm truly sorry that this had to happen, but it was interesting to see how a small group can have a great effect on the boards, something to consider in the future, part of a learning experience.

Thank you,

D

4. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I have to say that I think that the entire thing was blow very much out of proportion. It was meant as a joke guys that is it. It was designed to make people say, "what is all of that about", and to have a laugh. There was no harm intended, nor was there an idea ever expressed in the private forums that had an us vs. them mentality. None of us ever thought that we are superior to anyone. We are all a part of this community. The people that were the "targets" of the DGVPG were those like myself who post alot, and enjoy the benifits of the site, but yet are not contributors, or in the private forums obviously. I personally want to say I am sorry to Arn for any trouble that was caused to him.

As to all those on the boards, well, there was never anything meant by it. Ask the guys that have joined this week. It was for fun, it was to raise interest in the site, it was to help Arn fund the site through contributions, it was the DGVPG.

It would look good on the MacRumors 2003 coffee mug Arn. :D

5. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

This started the whole DGVPG avatar thing...
    It was only ever supposed to be fun!

Fun fun fun! :D

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

hehe. only demi-gods have posted. it always happens like that. hehe.

oh as for me... it seems nobody is willing to push me to contribute (yet), so I'll just avoid it beforehand... I will contribute soon after I reach my 500th post.

and that's not too far away! (all I hve to do is convince my dad that using his credit card over the internet is SAFE :rolleyes: )

irmongoose

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I have to agree wiht arn the site went down for a bit and the flamewars where stupid....cause I know arn was gettins hitty with alpahtech cause he was a ****** (he was and you now it) he went of at everyone and everything which wasn't cool .....and beej it was probably fun but it got boring real fast.......no offence

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

mac15, just for the record, the *flamewars* of which you speak are tame in comparison to what went on here in 2001. For 2002 they got a little overheated, but not anything like the nastiness seen before. MacRumors has grown and will continue to grow, not just in number of members, but in an evolutionary sense.

9. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I wasn't around in 2001 for much only a few dayd I joined just before the new years so could you tell us some of the stuff that went down

10. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Try this link]mac15.

If you want more of the same, just do a thread search, for anything with 'spikey' in it, from last year :)

11. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

wow spikey is a idiot

but thats not gonna change the fatc that alphatech and other were idiots lately in the forums

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Hey, we all know that Alpha can have a temper, you yourself have been on the other end of that one before if I am correct. But believe me, there has been nothing close to a flamewar here in a long time. Even when people have tried, cooler heads have prevailed. In fact, I think I remember defending you one with Alpha right?

13. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

oh what the hell, I will be paying for it soon, is it cheaper without the mug?

Ensign

14. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Without the mug it is only 20 bucks. Proud of you Ensign. *wipes tears from eyes*

15. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Oh yeah, I fully agree. I haven't been around much lately, but in the small amount of time I have been around, I could tell it was getting too much. Anyway, it's over now. If anything like this is tried in the future, maybe sticking to the original suggestion of one day could be good...

16. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

off topic

Hey, I know it is off topic, but damn, love the new tar, and your latest tourist stop. :D

17. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hey mac15, in the thread you started about down hill or whatever you mentioned me when you were talking about flamewars and stuff..

just curious why you think i've ever gotten involved in flamewars. cause i really haven't. what made you single ME out with alphatech. we all know alpha has some harshness to him. i didn't know i did though...

thanks.

18. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Jello - I think with the amount of name calling etc that has been going on between you and, well, everyone... I think that a lot of people outside the Demi-Gods (because of their access to the private forum) might think it is serious.

Even I've wondered about some of the slinging that's been going on, some of it sounds prety serious.

19. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I have to agree with this. Even though I was a part of it. I know it's all joking around, but sometimes I did wonder and have to remind myself...

That's why I said that maybe we should chill a bit on these comments in the public forums. (I said this in the private forums for those of you that cannot view the private area's info...).

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well the only thing i'd say to that is that i get fired upon by the same folks that i joke with... whether it be rower, eye, teabgs, duke, britboy... beej even a couple times.

and i know they're kidding, or if they aren't, well, oh well. ha

but i think i've had enough serious type conversations with most of those folks that they know the joking parts are just that.

if not, feel free to let me know via pm or something and i'll clear things up. but not much else i can say. i'm a joke.

peace.

21. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I've kept it to the private forums. Personally, I think it's great to have someone you can diss 24/7 :) but I can see how people who are lesss established in the community - and even those who have been around for a while - could get sick of it filling up the treads and getting them off toppic within a few posts.

That was a long sentance :)

Perhaps we should just slow it down a bit, hick-boy? :eek: :D

22. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Jello: I'm not tryin to point you out or anything and I personally have not been and prolly wont be offended by anything you say. But some people may be....or could be scared of getting yelled at by you.

The problem is that if people dont know you then they may mistake your humor as seriousness. Your type of humor is blunt, kinda meanish, and can be seen as a bit harsh.

I just want everyone to realize that I do know this, and make it known to others in case they think anything else of Jello...he's really a nice kid even though I give him crap all the time...and even though he lives in a town where people hang out at the KMart parking lot at night :rolleyes:

23. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

If that is the case, then i find that rather pathetic. If someone is "scared" because of something another person posted..... then they need help.

I know, this thread should be allowed to die a death of a (unlike the now defunct dgvpg) quick and painless nature. Just had to have my say.... :rolleyes:

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well there are people in the private forum that don't know me as well either that could take the humor wrongly as well.

i hardly think i'm the one responsible for taking threads off topic with sudden and random insults. if a thread goes off topic with some discussion of whatever comes up, and then it gets into some joking, then yeah, i've done plenty of that. but it's not like i'd go into a thread about macs and cars, see that teabgs drives x car and then say "hey teasac x car sucks ass and i hate you you drunken fool".

there are plenty of people that haven't talked directly with me a whole lot yet know i'm joking. because half the time it comes up that i'm just joking, as it does with say, duke, brit, eye, rower, etc. because sarcasm is hard to convey on a screen, and thus is easily mistaken. hell, just me wasting this much time defending myself shows i'm not being mean. if i were, i'd give you all a quick retort and be done.

that said, if you guys wholeheartedly think my jokes are being taken wrong and that's such a huge problem, don't be hypocritical and join in at all then. especially not in a thread that is discussing it.

i'm sick of defending myself.

and thanks to those who joke with me and don't bail when it comes up as a problem. you know who you are... you the men!