Admin Password Question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wantabe, Sep 4, 2004.

1. wantabe macrumors newbie

I bought a computer that is a Macintosh Panther 10 & I can not install anything because it needs an administrator password. No one knows any clue as to what the admin password is. In Windows XP, I can boot to safe mode & logg in as administrator but I am not familair with a MAc as to how to do this. Is there a way for me to change the admin password on this thing!!!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If you don't know the administrator password, but have the Mac OS X install disc(s), boot from the install disc and use the "Reset Password" option instead of installing.

3. wantabe thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have the original disk, so I guess I am out of luck??

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm quite honestly surprised that you don't have the install disc. I don't know what else to do.

It is for that very reason that I have never and will never buy a used or refubished Mac. Buying new ensures that I have everything I need in case something like this happens.

5. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

So are you saying that if I a refurbished eMac from Apple.com, there is a chance that it will not come with Panther? (Or the original OS)

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Apple wouldn't do that - all their refurbished Macs DO come with the Mac OS. I just have a pet peeve with the idea of refurbished Macs.

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Are you comfortable using the command line (shell)? If so you could do this by adding yourself to the /etc/sudoers file - but it'll require that you boot up into single user mode (hold down the command key and the "s" key while the machine boots. Then you can leverage that into getting admin privileges by running the netinfo command line interface. I haven't used that much though - perhaps someone can chime in as to whether you can run "niutil" out of single user mode (thus skipping the sudoers stuff completely)?

If you're not familiar with the command line but still want to do it, I'd suggest making copies of every file (such as /etc/sudoers) before modifying it. Simple as 'cp -a /etc/sudoers /etc/sudoers.prev'.

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Okay, it looks like you can use nicl in "raw" mode after booting to single user.

1) Boot into single user mode

1a) Remount system as writeable, using commands shown after bootup is completed (probably '/sbin/fsck -y' and '/sbin/mount -uw /')

2) Back up the netinfo database:
    cp /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb.just_in_case :D

3) Add your username to the admin group (all this on one line):
    nicl -raw /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb -append /groups/admin users your_username

Edit: Added step 1a, after trying this out myself. It works - at least on Panther.

9. bill_troy macrumors newbie

append string not working

Hello,

I just tried the nicl string and it does not appear to work to change the admin user???? Any other ideas????

10. tamara6 macrumors regular

You are probably already logged in as an admin user. You just need to find out your username and password.

Go to the system preferences. (look for it under the blue apple in the upper left corner) Find the 'Accounts' preferences. That should give you info about your account. On the left it should say something like "Joe Smith Admin". Under the 'Password' tab you should be able to change your password.

If you log out and log back in, your username will be the short name shown in this preference window, and your password will be whatever you type in there. And that same password will work when you install software.

11. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

It doesn't change the admin user, it adds your account to the admin group (unless as tamara6 said - you're already an admin). But you have to use the correct shortname AND you have to run it after booting to single user mode.

But if you did all that and it didn't work, I am totally out of ideas. :confused: