Administration: Detainees have no rights

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

meanwhile...

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Let's see how many people cry for prisoner rights when the next terrorist attack occurs.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

apparently people here will.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

oh, and uhh, if an attack occurs, its because WE drove them to do it.

5. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Is that sarcasm?

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So, denying any legal rights to men who in many cases were kidnapped for bounty is going to help your cause?

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

it frightens me more when people like you are so willing to throw away my rights. bush has claimed the ability to take me or you and throw us into jail, without telling us why, without telling anyone where we are, without allowing us access to counsel, without allowing us to challenge our arrests, the evidence, or the results.

that's what you support, now defend it.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

*men who want to see every non-muslim man woman and child die.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Your provocative generalisations just might.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

i dont want to throw away your rights. if we did, we couldnt have this stimulating conversation. :) ;)

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Have you spoken to any of these men? Do you know who they are? Do you know how they got to Guantanamo? Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

12. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I could ask you the same question.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

provacative maybe, generalised no.

14. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

please note that skunk, the brit, understands our system of assumed innocence better than you, an alleged american, do.

all i'm getting from your POV is "i'm scared."

15. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Whoa there, cowboy.

Your rights? You think these people are innocent bystanders?

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And I would answer that until they have been tried in open court I have no idea, and I would not want to prejudge them. Something you clearly have no qualms about.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Do you have any evidence that they aren't?

18. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, many of them were fingered by political enemies.

regardless, how did our judiciary system suddenly become unable to hold trials (answer: when the bush adminstration decided that what was said on trial would be embarrassing to the administration).

thanks for falling for the administration's crap, btw. you've enabled this shameful behavior.

19. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the personal attack. Very mature.

Yes, the Bush administration is evil, America is full of infidels, and we all deserve to die.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well, now you come to mention it...

And I think "Whoa there, cowboy" is verging on a personal attack, don't you?

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

We'll never know, now will we? bushco has done it's darnedest to ensure these people never see the light of day and even more to ensure that Americans never know anything about them. Are some of them guilty of something, probably. Are all of them guilty of everything, most definitely not.

Until we are allowed to view the process involved, all we have is the government's word for their guilt. No government should ever be trusted so blindly. Those who do put such faith in the current us government which has repeatedly lied to Americans about its policies in the ME, are sadly in need of a history lesson.

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's amazing how many people will accept waving the flag and burning the Constitution. No, not amazing, just disappointing.

Thomas Jefferson's ghost has long departed from the American political spirit.

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Were the Japanese-Americans rounded up and put into American prison camps during World War II terrorists or innocent bystanders?

I'd suggest that a portion of the Muslims detained are innocent bystanders whose fearful neighbours dropped a dime without real cause.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I would hope they still would. It's fear and anger that drive us to do irrational things. Prisoners still have rights, because everyone does or no one does. That's the way our system works, due process. Not even counting the ones who might be innocent. Otherwise, how are we any better than they are? It amazes me that people have no problem throwing someone else's rights out the window because they're scared. Some of them may in fact be innocent, and I know if it was me, I'd want a chance to defend myself. Which is the problem here because that's what they want to take away. No one is saying turn them all loose, but it would be nice if we could at least prove them guilty before convicting them.

Whatsoever you do to the least of us...

25. Queso macrumors G4

Not this crap again. Grow up America. The rest of the the World has had terrorism for so long it's just background noise, and a lot of it was funded by your Governments because you were all turning a blind eye to their foreign policies.

So if you want to hide under the bed and/or totally overreact about this "new" terrorist threat, don't expect me to either agree with you or support your actions in doing so. I'll get on with life as usual thanks.

This attitude that you must bomb people into submission to win didn't work in Vietnam, it hasn't worked in Palestine and it won't work in Iraq. Time for your Government to use its brains rather than its brawn for a change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.