Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay Butler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
Hey guys.

I'm having a problem hooking up the internet at my girlfriends place. The package came in yesterday (modem, installation disc etc). So I hook up the cable modem perfectly, then when I try to finish up the installation on my Macbook, halfway my mac ask me to enter my main password (the one that always pops up when installing major software), I type in my password correctly, it goes through...but then it gets back to the comcast installation screen and Comcast says "Administrative Password is incorrect" - but it obviously has to be correct if the Mac OS X security is letting me through.

I've messed with my password in the system preferance settings and everything is fine...so I don't know how the Mac OS X security is saying my password is correct...then Comcast saying it's not sad - it sucks.

I hope I'm making sense. I have no idea what to do, and Comcast troubleshoot line is always way to damn busy sad

Any help would be appreciated.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Don't use the installation disc. Follow these directions:

1) Plug the modem into the electrical outlet.

2) Plug the cable line coming from the wall into the cable modem.

2.5) Turn on the modem and wait a minute.

3) Attach an ethernet cable from the modem to the router or the computer in question.

3.5) Turn on the router and wait a minute. (If you're using one)

4) On the Mac, Sys Prefs -> Network -> Click on the appropriate adapter (airport, ethernet, etc) -> Click Configure -> Click Assist Me -> Click Assistant.

5) Follow the prompts.

The installation disc doesn't do anything useful for you. The modem should autoconfigure without any complications. It does not need to be "logged in" to the network -- it just needs to be "provisioned" by Comcast (they do this automatically -- it's sort of like MAC filtering). The software does not provide you with any useful features, nor is it necessary to use the Macbook to connect to the internet.

Jay Butler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to try it out when I go back to my girlfriends place in a few hours...hopefully I can post on here and give a bigger thanks when/if it works :)

BTW - I love this place.

jde1004

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2007
Thanks!

I was having the same problem too!!! I am going to try the same solution and see if it works for me! I have tried everything else, so hopefully this will work!

jde1004

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2007
Question

Okay, but does anyone know how I register then?? and set up my email address?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.