Adobe After effects Mac/PC compatibility question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nickane, Jul 27, 2006.

1. nickane macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2005
    I have been offered to do some freelance rotoscope work for a production using after FX on PCs. However, the only computer I have access to with After FX loaded is an iMac G5. I was wondering how compatible the files are. I will basically just be opening projects that they may already have worked on with PCs onto a mac, putting in the mattes they want and returning them to the post-production team for compositing on their high-spec PCs.

So, effectively, I need two-way compatibility. I realise the old rule of macs reading Windows files but not vice-versa, but there are many exceptions like Office etc. I am hoping the same is true of adobe's software. I am assured by the friend who got me the work that this won't be a problem, as he's done it before, but I need to make sure before I commit.

Please help.
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    As a general rule, Adobe file formats are cross-platform. As a more general rule, I am aware of no significant developer that choses incompatible file formats for its MacOS X and Windows applications of the same title.
  3. nickane thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2005
    Cheers for the swift response and thank you for allaying my fears. When you put it like that, I guess it was just my experience with ipods and hard drives that was concerning me. Having said that, they seem to think I'll be writing the files to a external lacie, which they'll then be able to read. Now that should present its own set of problems...
  4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    If you format the hard drive as a FAT32 volume you shouldn't have a problem.
  5. nickane thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2005
    Thanks again. I guess I'm employed after all. Cheers for all your help guys.