Adobe and Avid Target Final Cut Pro Users With 'Switcher' Discounts

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 1, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Adobe today announced a new "switcher" promotion clearly designed to take advantage of the significant amount of criticism being levied against Apple's new Final Cut Pro X. The new program offers a 50% discount on either Creative Suite CS5.5 Production Premium or Premiere Pro CS5.5 to current users of Apple's Final Cut Pro or Avid's Media Composer. Certain current Adobe users are also eligible for the promotion.
    Adobe's switcher program is limited to commercial customers and is valid through September 30th.

[​IMG]
    Avid has also taken advantage of Apple's issues, once again offering Final Cut Pro users more than 50% off of its Media Composer software, pricing it at $995 compared to the usual $2,295 download price and $2,495 boxed price. The discounted pricing is available for existing pre-Final Cut Pro X users.
    Avid had offered the crossgrade promotion from mid-April through June 17th after Apple took over the Final Cut Pro User Group SuperMeet at NAB to preview Final Cut Pro X, kicking out Avid and other sponsors of the event in order to have the stage for itself. Avid's decision to renew the crossgrade the program through September is clearly an effort to attract Final Cut Pro users disappointed in the official release of Final Cut Pro X.

Article Link: Adobe and Avid Target Final Cut Pro Users With 'Switcher' Discounts

2. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

The sharks smell blood.

3. macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Gotta hand it to Apple...the definitely fulfilled their promise to make "switching" REALLY easy!!! :cool:

4. macrumors 65816

dagamer34

At least for people who said they are switching, it won't hit the wallet quite a hard. Good deal by both companies, especially when you are talking about businesses likely needing to buy several seats.

5. macrumors 6502a

Schizoid

Be really interesting over the rest of the year to see how Apple fairs in the professional video arena, looks like their market share is set to drop considerably... I believe it was about 45-50% of the pro editing market...

6. macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Got only one question: are those programs written in carbon?

7. macrumors regular

In the trenches...except for those few years where we abandoned the Mac platform in video editing, but we're back now with all our apps so it's all hugs and kisses, right?

8. macrumors 6502a

SBlue1

competition is good :D

9. macrumors 6502a

djrod

As some would say, nice strategy to drop the pro market and focus on the consumer, just make your pro customers go away by themselves :p

Apple should have wait till FCP X was more "complete"

10. macrumors 6502a

Something tells me Apple really doesn't care if they lose the professional market on this one or anything else for that matter. Almost their entire focus is now on the consumer, while ignoring the professional users.

11. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

From http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html :

EDIT : interesting, it uses VDA it seems :

12. zin
    macrumors 6502

I think being able to slash 50% off your original selling price really says something about just how much you (over)value your product.

13. macrumors member

apttap

I'm not a professional editor, but after listening to @lonelysandwich on The Talk Show, I feel that most editors aren't likely to just jump over to a new platform. I think apple with make FCP 7 available again, as they work on bringing FCPX up to speed.

14. macrumors newbie

I use both products professionally. If Avid would fully support AppleProRes, I would now leave FCP behind. And please, don't start a flamewar saying Avid does support it with that proxy thing they do. Yeah it works for a few hours then crashes.

Bottom line on Apple, the computer industry is changing and high end machines are no longer that important to any computer company. You can do anything with an Imac now, and fast. The only limitations is connectivity (no slots). Apple is getting out of the high end market, mark my words.

15. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Like Apple did with most of the iLife stuff, Aperture and now FCP ? ;)

Software is a strange beast to price. The development costs are fixed, duplication and distribution costs are pennies on the dollars. What might have cost you 10,000$ to make can bring in millions in sales. What cost you millions to make can bring in 10,000$ in sales.

If editors are like enterprise IT, they'll take this as a good lesson in not trusting a vendor without a roadmap and just move to ones that do have a public roadmap they are willing to share. Surprises from vendors is never a good thing for businesses.

16. macrumors newbie

Can the Adobe solution import FCP7 files? If it can't what is the point?

17. Guest

AAPLaday

SL + Lion are combined are cheaper than Leopard was

18. The Phazer, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

macrumors 68030

They allow you to do all the other things FCPX is missing today, and allow you to buy additional licences, unlike FCP7, so if you're in any kind of business at all where you need that flexibility they still remotely work.

Very clever move from both companies. I suspect FCPX's marketshare will collapse.

Phazer

19. macrumors 6502a

That is the least of the worries. I do not care if my new girlfriend is a bit overweight as long she is not a lazy gold digger.

20. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Can FCPX import FCP7 files? If it can't what is the point? :eek::D

21. macrumors regular

22. macrumors 6502a

Reliability, with FCP X you can not neither. At least 3 years from now you know with Avid or Adobe you will be able to open your files from 5 years ago.

23. macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

I guess Premiere Pro, After Effects are Cocoa because they claim 64-bit support. We know Photoshop is... but what about all the other ones in the 'CS5.5 Production Premium' suite. No mention of "64-bit supported" there..... tricksey tricksey....

24. macrumors 6502a

25. macrumors G3

roadbloc

...and there goes another one of Apple's pro products. What's left now? They've only got Logic Pro to **** up and they are totally an average-joe based company. :(