Adobe Announces New Creative Cloud Apps, Abandons Creative Suite

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 6, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Adobe has decided to focus its resources on Creative Cloud and will not continue development on its Creative Suite software, reports The Next Web. While Creative Suite 6 will continue to be supported in regards to bug fixes, there will be no further updates and no Creative Suite 7.

Instead, the company has today announced several Creative Cloud apps at its Adobe MAX conference, including Photoshop CC, InDesign CC, Illustrator CC, Dreamweaver CC, and Premiere Pro CC.

Each of the apps has seen notable upgrades, as detailed by The Next Web. For example, Photoshop CC offers new features like Camera Shake reduction and Behance integration, which can be seen in the Adobe promo video below.

Adobe's Creative Cloud applications will launch this June. The company plans to offer current users of CS 3 and beyond a year of Creative Cloud at a discounted price.
    With a standard Creative Cloud subscription, users can access the full library of Adobe apps, making it an attractive choice for subscribers that plan to access multiple Adobe products.

According to Scott Morris (via TechCrunch), head of Adobe's Creative Cloud and Creative Suite teams, the shift will allow Adobe's engineers the "ability to focus," providing quicker updates and more innovative features in the future.

Article Link: Adobe Announces New Creative Cloud Apps, Abandons Creative Suite

2. macrumors 65816

OldSchoolMacGuy

Lots of pros are not going to like this change to service based and cloud based apps.

3. macrumors member

****tart

4. CJM
    macrumors 65816

CJM

I do hope there's an uproar over this.

5. macrumors member

DDaddyx2

Interesting. I expect Microsoft will make a similar play in the near future, requiring everyone to subscribe to Office 365.

6. macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

This is disappointing, that's for sure.

7. Guest

And so the crappy cloud/pay-us-forever-business-model trend continues...pathetic.

8. macrumors 6502a

So, cs6 is my last adobe upgrade.
    $600/year to use adobe apps is not worth it.

9. macrumors 603

Carlanga

I guess this is one way to combat piracy :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 601

WTF???? This is absurd. :mad:

11. macrumors 6502a

Baklava

Will work good. Believe me. :)

12. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I guess no more upgrades for me, I'm not going to the subscription model

13. macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

This is horrible. A big mistake.

If they keep this business model, a new company will come about and destroy Adobe.

14. macrumors newbie

Blame on them.

15. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I imagine there will be but it won't do anything to change it.

16. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, but so far there's really not too many alternatives around either. Uproars work when the company is afraid it will lose customers

17. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Wow.

This is truly shocking.

18. macrumors member

This is the path all software is following. Office is already on its way. Expect most other apps to become subscription based. Best way to stop piracy. It's in every company's interest.

19. macrumors member

Bahamut Eos

Not looking forward to having to rent my software forever. We are still using CS3 on most computers, and 5 on the rest, and getting by just fine. What incentive will adobe have to continue to update their products if they make the same amount per month if the software is never updated again or not? This is a crap proposition for a lot of consumers, although I could see it being an attractive option for some freelancers. But Cloud only. I don't like it.

20. macrumors member

Guess my old copy of CS4 just got a lot more valuable!:)

21. macrumors newbie

... wow

I guess I will be clinging to my copy of cs6.

I have two questions

1) (having never used the online apps) how do they work? do you have too download anything or is it all simply login and use on any computer?

2) Didn't they just announce a beta for a new lightroom? I guess that will be there last one?

22. macrumors 65816

OldSchoolMacGuy

People will just complain about it on internet forums rather than contacting Adobe or doing anything to actually change anything. Happens with most everything these days.

Complaining on the internet. The least you can do to change things short of doing nothing at all.

23. RMo
    macrumors 65816

Sounds great, I love paying $20+/month for the rest of time instead of purchasing a license once to use indefinitely.

/sarcasm

But seriously, I'm assuming this is just for Creative Suite and not for individual applications. For people who actually need the full CS, this may not be a horrible option. For people like me who use only one or two applications (Acrobat, mostly), I hope the existing option remains available.

24. macrumors 6502a

Yes. Cheaper and no bloatware.

25. macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

So for someone like me who upgraded his Creative Suite Design Standard (because I don't need the other programms) every 2-3 years it is now almost three times more expensive. :mad:

And if I stop paying I can't open my files anymore.
    I'll stay with CS6 for quite a while that's for sure.

I do hope not too many people buy this so that Adobe has to deliver a different solution.

Anyone still using QuarkXPress? Might be worth a try if all else fails ...