Adobe Announces Photoshop Elements 6.0 for Mac

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by Westside guy, Jan 10, 2008.

1. macrumors 601

Westside guy

2. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Adobe Announces Photoshop Elements 6.0 for Mac

[​IMG]

Adobe announced that Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 for Mac will become available in the second quarter of 2008. Adobe plans to show off the latest version of Elements at Macworld Expo next week.
    Adobe details the new features on their website, including a number of video demos:

- Create a Group Shot from multiple photos
    - Make easy selections
    - Use curves adjustments

Version 6.0 of Elements finally brings the Mac version of Elements in par with the Windows version. Adobe had previously skipped realeasing Elements 5.0 for the Mac. Version 6 also introduces Intel Mac support and will be available for $89.99.

Article Link

3. macrumors member

Drat!

And I just bought a copy of 4.0 with my new Mac Pro. -_-;

4. macrumors 68020

About time!

5. macrumors 6502a

finally, they are getting their move on...

6. macrumors 65816

Squonk

I often wonder about using Elements instead of iPhoto....anyone have a compelling argument on that?

7. macrumors 68000

scotthayes

just looked through the site, and don't think it's worth the £69.32 they are charging in the UK.

8. macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I wonder what happened to Photoshop Elements 5 for the Mac. As far as I know the last version for the Mac was 4 (or am I wrong again !!) ... :eek:

9. macrumors 6502

Shouldn't the title of this be: "Adobe Announces that they still aren't shipping Photoshop Elements 6.0 for the Mac"

10. macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I don't think any application has been so prolifically produced as PS elements? I still have PSE2 on a PC that is only 3 years old

11. thread starter macrumors 601

Westside guy

Arguments in favor of iPhoto

• Bridge isn't as good a management tool as iPhoto, in my opinion
    • iLife and iWork integration
    • Easy publishing options (e.g. photobooks)

I think PSE makes a great supplement for iPhoto or Aperture (or LIghtroom for that matter) though.

12. macrumors 6502

Macula

How about fixing that Acrobat CS3 for Leopard? First things first!

13. macrumors member

It's about time

Geez....It's about time. Wonder why they skipped Elements 5. I was always looking for it on the internet. It is slow in an Intel Mac. Hope the new Elements is going to be faster.

14. macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Elements can do lots of things iPhoto cant.
    Most digital photographers could probably manage all their needs with Elements without having to go to the expense of the full Photoshop. In fact from what I hear version 6 for the PC has a few cool features that CS3 hasn't got.

15. macrumors 68020

sunfast

Let's go easy on Adobe guys - the first shipping intel macs were only 2 years ago. And you know, developers were hardly informed of the switch
    that's sarcasm if anybody is feeling very dense today
    that said - I will probably get this

16. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Do you need to select things? Cut things out? Alter the color of part of an images instead of the whole thing? Merge different images and add text for some kind of poster?

These are things iPhoto is not meant for.

17. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's £45.82 to upgrade from a previous licensed version of Adobe Photoshop Elements, Photoshop Album, Photoshop LE, or Adobe PhotoDeluxe.

18. macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

Often there are little features that are put into Elements and not in Photoshop, and later incorporated into Photoshop because they were so popular and easy to use in Elements. Such is the case with the Quick Selection feature where you paint an area you want selected. (Unless I am wrong, it appeared first in Elements 4.0, then in CS2 or 3... I forget these things).

19. macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Hurray! Finally! How long have we been waiting for this? I'm still ploughing on with PSE 2.0 on my Mac. I like the no-nonsense interface in 2.0, don't need the most comsumerist facilities in the later versions, but will very much welcome the speed from the native code.

20. macrumors G4

Elements is more of a photo editor then an organiser. Although now it does have some good abitlies to organize photos but it lacks integration with other Apple iLife programs

But Elements can do edits that just can't be done with iPhoto. Elements is very much like Photoshop in the it has seltion tools, layers and masks

The best thing to do is to use iPhoto to organize your images and then in iPhoto's Perference panel you can specify an external editor to use. Select Elements as that editor. then when you double click an image inside iPhoto that image comes up inside elements and automatically goes back to iPhoto when you save and quite in Elements. Its nearly seamless. The down side is that iPhoto starts up a new copy of Elements each time, so it is slow or at least is was slow with Elements version 4 because of Rosetta, a universal binary PSE6 will be faster

21. macrumors 68000

MacSA

No wonder software piracy is rampant.. robbing b******s :mad:

22. macrumors 6502a

kylos

So, how would I go about upgrading from Elements 1 (OS 9) to Elements 6. Will I just need a previous installation key?

23. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

Adobe still says Macintosh. I haven't heard of a Mac called that in a long time. It is sort of like calling Ben "Obi-Wan Kenobi".

24. macrumors regular

I like how the Mac demo videos are on Windows.

25. macrumors 65816

Squonk

Excellent feedback. Thanks y'all. Once I get my new MBP I should have enough horsepower to handle the spawning of PSE... :)