Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balahir

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2006
Sweden
Premiere Elements for Mac

Does anybody know if Adobe is also developing Premiere Elements for us? I am quite happy with FCE 4, but I kinda liked the interface in new Premiere (Pro) I tried... Don't want to pay the fortune Adobe wanna have, though.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
But Elements can do edits that just can't be done with iPhoto. Elements is very much like Photoshop in the it has selection tools, layers and masks...

Are there things I could do more easily in elements than in PS?

I don't need all the power of PS; i need more than iPhoto. I have PS, so cost isn't the issue: ease of use is. Would i find myself tackling more tasks in elements because the tools are easier to use, or am i underestimating how PS has improved? thanks.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Shouldn't the title of this be: "Adobe Announces that they still aren't shipping Photoshop Elements 6.0 for the Mac"

you are right. Adobe is taking forever.

but at least they don't launch programs that are not ready to go public like other developers. ie microsoft and .... Halo 3, or Vista

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
Free Upgrade to Version 6.0 if I Buy 4.0 Today?

I read the press release and some other articles but couldn't find any mention of what happens if I buy version 4.0 of photoshop elements before 6.0 is available. Will they do what microsoft is doing with office 2008 and offer a free upgrade or will I have to pay the full upgrade price?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I use iPhoto and Photoshop and have learned when to use which. Photoshop Elements falls in between in editing capabilities. It's a good balance between the simplicity of iPhoto (enhance, red eye, a few sliders, and not much else) and the complexity (and yes, flexibility) of Photoshop.

I still prefer iPhoto for red eye correction, so if a photo is already in my iPhoto library, that's how I touch it up.

Keep in mind that iPhoto Preferences let you specify an editor application, so you can double-click a photo in your library, edit it in Photoshop Elements or Photoshop, and have it updated in your library when you save the file.

mddharma

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
Hagerstown, Md
What about Pixelmator?

It seems for a "photoshop" lite this program is a contender. I am using it and it seems very nice. In addition it is just a 1.0 version and the price is right.

m.jakey

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2007
Berkshire County
Elements 4.0 with Leopard

Hi-

I just got a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet with PSE4 included(and a book to help me learn PSE4); anyone been using it with an intel iMac running Leopard?

Adobe's pdf about Leopard and Elements4 says something to the effect of 'likely to encounter issues for which there is no resolution'

Was hoping somebody might have some experience with this and know how severe the issues are?

Maybe I should send the Wacom back to Amazon and wait till the Bamboo ships with PSE6?

Though I think it has, in the past, taken Wacom a few quarters to catch up with new PSE releases they include . . .

any thoughts or info appreciated.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
It seems for a "photoshop" lite this program is a contender. I am using it and it seems very nice. In addition it is just a 1.0 version and the price is right.
Pixelmator will be great once they've finished it.

Seriously, I love the concept and the interface. The Mac needs a decent mid-range photo editor to compete with Adobe's clunky, late and overpriced offerings.

But for me it's too buggy and missing too many features to be useful right now. If they sorted it, it'd be an Adobe-killer.

SL

pesc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2006
iPhoto vs PSE

I like iPhoto better for organizing my photos. And iPhoto integrates better with other iLife/iWork applications. I think it's a shame that PSE doesn't try to integrate with iPhoto (include a media browser?) but tries to replace iPhoto by adding its own organizing software.

However, here is what I do: Set iPhoto to use an external editor: PSE.
THEN, set iPhoto to edit pictures in fullscreen mode instead. iPhoto will now remember the external editor.
NOW, when I double-click an image I get iPhotos editing. Nice for doing basic editing (levels, crop, etc). This is OK for 90% of all corrections I do.
OR I can right-click an image and select "open in external editor". Now PSE opens and I can do more advanced editing. When I save in PSE (NOT "Save as...") I will save the modified image in the right place. iPhoto can still revert to the original as it keeps track of that for me.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
I know there's a profanity filter, so I hope I'll be forgiven.

About ****ing time, Adobe.

I use PhotoShop 5.5 on my PC and Elements 4 on my MacBook. Not only is Elements 4 slower than it should be for even routine processes, but it offers less functionality than a 7-year-old+ version of PhotoShop.

eric4

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
Finally!

I have been waiting for this for a long time. As a (year ago) Mac convert from Windows, I haven't found anything to replace my Paint Shop Pro for graphics and photo editing - layers, selections, brush tools, masks, color balance, levels, precise color correction, etc. I believe most of this ability will be in PSE6. CS3 isn't priced for home users, and I wasn't interested in PSE 4 since it was 2 years old and not a universal binary. I've been running Paint Shop Pro in Parallels just hoping that Adobe hadn't abandoned Mac PSE.

iPhoto would work for maybe half of the photo editing I do for simple brightness/contrast and very basic color correction, but the biggest problem in my opinion is that it saves such a poor quality copy (high compression possibly?) of any photo that I've edited in it. I can't get quality prints from it. I haven't looked at iPhoto '08 yet, I understand that it might not save copy of copy of copy (after edit of edit of edit) but rather make all changes from the original (similar to Apeture), that sounds interesting to me.

The photo/album organization of neither PSE nor iPhoto interest me. My use would solely be editing and creation ability.

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
I was using 2 also. But I bought a new Wacom tablet and 4 was included "free". So I upgraded. The basic editing interface, selection tools and layers all work better in 4 then in 2. Yes, 4 has new features I don't use but it was worth it.

I'd suggest waiting a wile to buy Elements 6. Soon Wacom will have Elements 6 bundled with their "Bamboo Fun" tablet.. the bundle will sell for $100. Only $20 more then buying Elements alone. They also include Corel Painter Essentials in the bundle which I like

The Bamboo tablet is well worth $20. However the higher end intous tablet is better because t senses not only pressure but the orientation of the pen so with it you can rotate a flat brash to make thin or fat lines, or "feather" an airbrush. With the bamboo tablet all pens and brushes are treated as if they are exactly vertical even if you hold them at an angle to the surface. But for $20 over the price of elements alone well worth it.

Lol :) I have a Graphire, but thanks, it's a good point and if I didn't already have a tablet I'd follow your advice.

I'll be getting this on day 1, I reckon. I've waited long enough!

recordprod

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
£57.58 on the Adobe site for the upgrade, which is more than I paid for the full licence version of PSE 4

Where have you seen it for £45.82? Some dodgy shop in Dudley??? :D

I've just placed my pre-order for upgrade from PSE3 - £45.82 all in. That's from Adobe UK direct.

Maybe I'm alone in this but think it's decent value - assuming it runs as fast as CS3 on my Intel Macs :)

hempcamp

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2007
DC/VA
Totally worth it and about time. I have used PSE2 and PSE4 forever and a day but they are slow as molasses going uphill in January through Rosetta on an Intel Mac.

A cheaper digital distribution version as with PSE2 and PSE4 would be nice, of course. So I'm waiting in case that comes soon.

--Chris

r88my

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Manchester UK
just looked through the site, and don't think it's worth the £69.32 they are charging in the UK.

Outrageous. But we're used to getting shagged, so its quite alright :)

I read the press release and some other articles but couldn't find any mention of what happens if I buy version 4.0 of photoshop elements before 6.0 is available. Will they do what microsoft is doing with office 2008 and offer a free upgrade or will I have to pay the full upgrade price?

They'll give you a free upgrade to version 5.0... ;)

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
About time!

I second that... About darn time...

It seems as though Mac has been "left out" on the Adobe releases, it really does look like Adobe is 12 to 18 months behind on all of their Mac OSX releases. I wonder if they are still annoyed with Apple about Aperture :confused:

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
Will this one have activation?

I have issues with activation; It's why I ask.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I echo all those saying about "flipping" time. I think Adobe has been shockingly slow on this. I've been waiting for ages for a universal version before I upgraded from version 2.0 (version 4 didn't look worth the upgrade at the time, but 2.0 doesn't even work in Leopard so... ).

For those considering Pixelmator, it's very nice, maybe worth having as well as, and could mature into something truly great given time, but I can't seriously believe that anyone who uses even half of elements' features could make do with it as a replacement, as it is right now.

If, as reported, 10.5.2 fixes stacks there is finally very little stopping me from upgrading my desktop to Leopard, so this is great news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.