Adobe Chief Technology Officer Kevin Lynch Joining Apple as VP of Technologies

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 19, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    CNBC's Jon Fortt has just issued a Tweet reporting that Adobe Chief Technology Officer Kevin Lynch is leaving the company to join Apple. A second Tweet from CNBC claims that Lynch's departure from Adobe is coming this week.

It is not yet clear what role Lynch will be taking on Apple, but Fortt presumably has a full report coming soon.

Lynch spent ten years as Chief Software Architect at Macromedia before joining Adobe when it acquired Macromedia in 2005. Lynch has been Chief Technology Officer at Adobe since 2008.

In his executive role at Adobe, Lynch occasionally addressed tensions between Apple and Adobe over Flash as Apple chose not to support the technology on its iOS devices and to minimize its presence on the Mac platform. Lynch had expressed disappointment at Apple's "negative campaigning" against Flash, but the two companies have obviously continued to have a working relationship.

Update: Adobe announced Lynch's departure in a filing with the SEC today, though it did not specify where he will be working next.
    Update 2: Adobe issued this statement to AllThingsD, saying that Lynch will be going to Apple -- though it doesn't specify what position he will be taking:
    Update 3: CNBC's Jon Fortt tweets that Lynch will be reporting to Bob Mansfield, Apple's senior vice president of Technologies.

Article Link: Adobe Chief Technology Officer Kevin Lynch Joining Apple as VP of Technologies

2. macrumors member

3. macrumors 6502a

4. macrumors regular

I think it'd be great for him to join Apple as VP for professional creative markets. And let's hope he left Adobe because his disdain for their lack of interest in future technologies, crappy installers, buggy software and feature creep.

5. macrumors 68000

The Samurai

6. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

7. macrumors 68000

nepalisherpa

8. macrumors member

Flashback

Bring Flash back! Ok maybe without the CPU hogging video component-but why get rid of the rest? One of the BEST interactive software programs ever written that used vector scalable images with layers and multimedia functionality-is there yet an HTML5 interface that can really compete with what Flash did? Not yet-why not? They are trying but not there yet-please get with it programmers and make something designers can use- not just programmers- for simple interactivity. Make it better than Flash! We are waiting.

9. macrumors G3

Renzatic

Wow. It's kinda sad that the first thing you people think of when you hear about Adobe is Flash.

10. macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

11. macrumors 68030

needfx

maybe he will be looking into aperture and stuff

12. macrumors 65816

Maybe we can now get our own creative suite instead of Adobes which is filled with products most of us don't want.

13. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah... my first thought was "Final Cut Pro..?"

But apparently I'm the minority here with that one.

14. macrumors 65816

Hopefully we will be seeing Apple's take on Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. We just need someone to do it in the hope that Adobe prices come down to something more reasonable. They have no serious opposition at the moment, and as we all know, competition improves the breed and brings down prices.

15. macrumors 601

Maybe the will make Aperture 4, instead of the abandonware that it is now...

16. TSE
    macrumors 68030

TSE

Agreed.

This means a lot for Apple in terms of their creative suite such as Final Cut.

17. macrumors G3

Renzatic

Yup. It could mean Apple is finally taking the high end market seriously again...

...or we're gonna soon see Final Cut iOS.

18. macrumors 6502a

Will be interesting to see whether his role will include core OS X features and functionality or Pro apps.

19. macrumors 68030

Popeye206

Could be a great addition to the Apple team. Might bring some interesting perspectives to several products. Will be interesting to see what they do with him.

20. macrumors regular

Seriously, my first thought was that we might finally get some decent updates to Aperture.

Glad I'm not the only one who's begun to despair that Aperture was going to be orphaned (or, perhaps worse yet, "mobile"-ized.)

21. macrumors 68000

e-coli

Hopefully this means Aperture, FCP and Motion (yeah right) will get a hell of a lot better.

22. macrumors 68020

jclardy

Well this guy came from Macromedia first, the original creator of Flash. He was likely more involved in that than Adobe's other professional products.

That plus I have seen him in a ton of the blackberry developer videos from the past few years trying to push Adobe Air as a great mobile development platform.

So I'm personally not the biggest fan of this guy.

23. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

Neither am I. I may be in the minority on this one, but I don't see this as a good move at all.

24. macrumors 6502

I'm thinking Pro apps. Adobe Premiere pulled a lot of people away from FCP in recent years.

25. macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Just like everybody elses thoughts:

Introducing iFlash: The biggest thing to happen to iOS since iOS