Adobe Creative Cloud Update Bug Deletes Folders in Mac Root Directory

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 12, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A Creative Cloud update that was recently released by Adobe has been deleting Mac users' files without warning, reports Ars Technica. The 3.5.0.206 update, now pulled by Adobe, deleted the contents of the first folder listed alphabetically in a Mac's root directory. Files were deleted after the update was installed and users logged into the Adobe service.

The bug has affected customers in different ways depending on the content that was listed first in the directory. Many customers who use backup service Backblaze had problems with the service because a hidden root folder called .bzvol was the file that was listed first and subsequently deleted. Backblaze made a video demonstrating the issue:

As Ars Technica points out, many Mac users' first folder is .DocumentRevisions-V100, which is used by the Mac's autosave feature and can cause problems if deleted.
    An Adobe spokesperson said the company is investigating the issue and has pulled the distribution of the update until the problem is fixed. Creative Cloud users should avoid updating until a clear fix is provided by Adobe, and as an extra layer of precaution, a fake folder with a name that will place it in the top spot in the root directory may also help users avoid issues.

Article Link: Adobe Creative Cloud Update Bug Deletes Folders in Mac Root Directory

2. iLoveiTunes macrumors regular

3. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

4. sualpine, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016

sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

Adobe: making crappy software that for some reason people still use since 1982.

5. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Some of it's bad, yes. But it's pretty clear why they're still around and why people use their software.

6. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

That's absolutely insane. I'm very curious as to the 'why' of this bug. Deleting files upon installation seems very odd - what in the world could lead to this happening? Someone is going to get fired, and by all means should be fired for this programming.

7. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

I feel extremely fortunate, I have been able to skip the creative cloud nightmare.
    When I attended my college in 2012, it was the last year students could get the CS6 suites for free - which works for life and runs without issue.
    Now at my school, the adobe suites creative cloud is valid for 1 year free - and you pay by subscription going forward.
    CS6 hasn't gotten updates in a while, but I have no complaints. The apps I use work without issue.

8. btrach144 macrumors 6502a

btrach144

Luckily I cancelled my creative cloud subscription and got their crap off my computer last week.

9. John.B macrumors 68040

John.B

This shows the problem with auto updating software, and is why many creatives go months or even years between updates.

Stability is a feature.

10. Mr. Dee macrumors 6502a

Mr. Dee

Installed CS6 Master Collection, more than enough for me.

11. Glassed Silver macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

I literally deleted that crap from my Mac just a few days ago.

Affinity for the win. I hope they keep on pushing.
    It's unhealthy to have an eternal Adobe just as it is unhealthy to have had such a strong Microsoft in the 1990's and IBM before that.

Glassed Silver:mac

12. Col4bin macrumors 65816

Col4bin

Works for life until you need to open someone's CC files with your CS6 version of Illustrator, InDesign, etc. Full backward compatibility is a must if you intend on opening and manipulating these CC files without compromise in CS6. Face it, Adobe's got us designers by the cojones with their new business model.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2016 ---
    Depends on who you're asking and what's their field of work. Most of Adobe's "crappy" software is global industry standard. Is it perfect, no. Is it functional, yes. Does it have vast room for improvement on multiple levels, no doubt.

13. John.B macrumors 68040

John.B

People still use it because Adobe bought, then killed off their competition. If you collaborate commercially, there just aren't a lot of other options.

14. hollersoft macrumors member

Why does an application installer have write permission to the root of the file system??

15. bcc2k macrumors member

For the same reason Microsoft is still around?

16. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

I'm guessing the delete command was to remove temp files from Adobe installer. Except someone doesn't know the proper command or hated his/her job.

On another note, I miss the days of watching video with audio.

17. reden macrumors 6502

People who usually don't use these tools on a professional level are definitely the ones always complaining, and making fun of them.

18. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

I got hit by this bug and it stopped my Backblaze backup with an error on my MBP.
    Thankfully on my main editing machine I don't update until I know that the release is stable.

I wonder if Adobe actually test the releases before they push them out?

19. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

20. Justim macrumors 6502

Maybe they'll learn to release updates at a slower pace. Seems like every time I open my computer I have 5 updates waiting for me.

21. 2013.1 macrumors member

2016 is the year of change.
    image.jpeg
    The first two I already use for about 20 % of my Jobs.

22. Iconoclysm macrumors 68000

Iconoclysm

Seems pretty common to me, not odd. Install routine: Create temp folder, extract files to folder, install software, DELETE FILES.

23. Arnkloev, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016

Arnkloev macrumors member

Arnkloev

Are files also deleted if you are already logged in to creative cloud when updating ?

Because I did update without the need to log in again since I was already logged in.

And my iMac is in a different language (Danish) meaning that my root files are organized in another order than US/english machines.
    I dont think I'm missing any files in my "library" folder which is at the top of root on my machine.

Regards Lars
    Denmark

24. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Your top Folder is not the Library folder, there are invisible Folders/Files on Top of the root level.

One of the bad things about Adobe Software is it creates Files and Folders in many places on your HD/SSD, It should create 1 App with all files included and a Folder in Application support, NOT the way it is now!