Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A Creative Cloud update that was recently released by Adobe has been deleting Mac users' files without warning, reports Ars Technica. The 3.5.0.206 update, now pulled by Adobe, deleted the contents of the first folder listed alphabetically in a Mac's root directory. Files were deleted after the update was installed and users logged into the Adobe service.

The bug has affected customers in different ways depending on the content that was listed first in the directory. Many customers who use backup service Backblaze had problems with the service because a hidden root folder called .bzvol was the file that was listed first and subsequently deleted. Backblaze made a video demonstrating the issue:

As Ars Technica points out, many Mac users' first folder is .DocumentRevisions-V100, which is used by the Mac's autosave feature and can cause problems if deleted.
The Adobe bug could also have dire consequences for users who have important folders with spaces in them, since those also assume a top alphabetically sorted spot on the Mac hard drive (which by default is labeled Macintosh HD).
An Adobe spokesperson said the company is investigating the issue and has pulled the distribution of the update until the problem is fixed. Creative Cloud users should avoid updating until a clear fix is provided by Adobe, and as an extra layer of precaution, a fake folder with a name that will place it in the top spot in the root directory may also help users avoid issues.

Article Link: Adobe Creative Cloud Update Bug Deletes Folders in Mac Root Directory

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
I feel extremely fortunate, I have been able to skip the creative cloud nightmare.
When I attended my college in 2012, it was the last year students could get the CS6 suites for free - which works for life and runs without issue.
Now at my school, the adobe suites creative cloud is valid for 1 year free - and you pay by subscription going forward.
CS6 hasn't gotten updates in a while, but I have no complaints. The apps I use work without issue.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
I feel extremely fortunate, I have been able to skip the creative cloud nightmare.
When I attended my college in 2012, it was the last year students could get the CS6 suites for free - which works for life and runs without issue.
Now at my school, the adobe suites creative cloud is valid for 1 year free - and you pay by subscription going forward.
CS6 hasn't gotten updates in a while, but I have no complaints. The apps I use work without issue.

Works for life until you need to open someone's CC files with your CS6 version of Illustrator, InDesign, etc. Full backward compatibility is a must if you intend on opening and manipulating these CC files without compromise in CS6. Face it, Adobe's got us designers by the cojones with their new business model.
[doublepost=1455338570][/doublepost]
Adobe: making crappy software that for some reason people still use since 1982.
Depends on who you're asking and what's their field of work. Most of Adobe's "crappy" software is global industry standard. Is it perfect, no. Is it functional, yes. Does it have vast room for improvement on multiple levels, no doubt.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I'm guessing the delete command was to remove temp files from Adobe installer. Except someone doesn't know the proper command or hated his/her job.

On another note, I miss the days of watching video with audio.

Reactions: Goatllama

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
I got hit by this bug and it stopped my Backblaze backup with an error on my MBP.
Thankfully on my main editing machine I don't update until I know that the release is stable.

I wonder if Adobe actually test the releases before they push them out?

Justim

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2011
Maybe they'll learn to release updates at a slower pace. Seems like every time I open my computer I have 5 updates waiting for me.

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
2016 is the year of change.
image.jpeg

The first two I already use for about 20 % of my Jobs.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
That's absolutely insane. I'm very curious as to the 'why' of this bug. Deleting files upon installation seems very odd - what in the world could lead to this happening? Someone is going to get fired, and by all means should be fired for this programming.

Seems pretty common to me, not odd. Install routine: Create temp folder, extract files to folder, install software, DELETE FILES.

arncalars

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Denmark
Are files also deleted if you are already logged in to creative cloud when updating ?

Because I did update without the need to log in again since I was already logged in.

And my iMac is in a different language (Danish) meaning that my root files are organized in another order than US/english machines.
I dont think I'm missing any files in my "library" folder which is at the top of root on my machine.

Regards Lars
Denmark

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Are files also deleted if you are already logged in to creative cloud when updating ?

Because I did update without the need to log in again since I was already logged in.

And my iMac is in a different language (Danish) meaning that my root files are organized in another order than US/english machines.
I dont think I'm missing any files in my "library" folder which is at the top of root on my machine.

Regards Lars
Denmark
Your top Folder is not the Library folder, there are invisible Folders/Files on Top of the root level.

One of the bad things about Adobe Software is it creates Files and Folders in many places on your HD/SSD, It should create 1 App with all files included and a Folder in Application support, NOT the way it is now!

Reactions: wolfme and g-7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.