adobe CS 2 student: upgrade price?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by QCassidy352, Dec 9, 2006.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'm soon going to purchase the student version of adobe CS 2 (yes, I'm really a qualifying student). But I'm wondering - what happens when CS 3 comes out? Can I get some kind of discounted upgrade price, or is it the full amount all over again?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Usually with educational versions, you have to buy the whole thing over again at an educational price. There was no upgrade path from edu CS1 to edu CS2, short of buying the whole thing over again, albeit at a discount.

3. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

As I recall - the price to buy a new educational package of CS2 is cheaper then the regular (non-educational) upgrade price. This will probably be the case with CS3.

However, if you shell out the extra few buks for the regular upgrade, it upgrades you from an educational license to a regular license.

4. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

thank you for the responses, conflicting tho they be. :) Anyone know for sure? Or is this a case where we'll just have to wait and see what adobe does?

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Since this is happening in the future, we will all have to wait to be certain. However the previous posts aren't really in conflict.

Like BlueVelvet said, there hasn't been an educational upgrade available in the past. So you'll have to by the education version over again.

What Hobgobble is saying is that one has been able to take their existing educational serial numbers, purchase the regular upgrade, and get upgraded from having the educational license to the regular one.

(Guys be sure to correct me if I'm misstating your posts)

6. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

ah, ok, that makes sense then. what is the price on the regular upgrade?

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

For CS2, they are on Amazon for around $540 for the Premium version and around $350 for the Standard version. Don't really know how this compares with the educational version prices.

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Hey, there's a "student" price available at some universities that is significantly cheaper than even the educational price. I know at the University of Washington students can get the whole suite for $199.

Check with your student bookstore, or whomever handles your educational software purchases. You won't be able to get that price through a reseller.

But education software generally is NOT upgradeable, as the others have posted. Because of the steep discounts you are expected to make the full purchase again.

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Yeah...Adobe's educational store lists the Premium version at $399. As Westside guy says, it does look like they negotiate with higher educational institutions and since you [OP] are in a large urban area, I'd check several college in the area for the best price (ask on the phone if they require that you be a student at their institution or if you can just show your student id). I think I did this once when my college didn't carry Illustrator and I picked in up at another local college for a good price.

10. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

hmm, unfortunately, the price at my school and all of the area schools seems to be the same as the standard edu price. Still not bad though. :) Although... with this new CS 3 beta just around the corner now, I'm wondering if it's a smart time to be buying CS 2. :confused:

11. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I guess it depends on how badly you need it, only you can decide that. Obviously there are free alternatives depending on what features you need, you can also trial it [link]for a month and I believe it is fully featured if you want to use it and see if you really can't get by without it.