"Adobe" Dreamweaver Change...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by geoffism, Jul 10, 2006.

1. geoffism macrumors regular

geoffism

Don't know if this signifies anything... but I downloaded the patch for DW8, and it converted all my files from DW files to GL2 files... strange...

Thoughts?

2. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Maybe Adobe is going to phase out Dreamweaver, forcing people to use GoLive... Hrmph..

3. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

god I hope not! note to self, don't update DW8

4. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

so does this mean that DW can open GL2 files?? also, how does studio 8 run on a macbook? ill be sticking wih it if GoLive replaces dreamweaver in CS3.

5. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Argh! That would be a disaster, but then Adobe haven't been very reliable these past few years.

I put Studio 8 on my XP Pro partition and will not be getting CS3 just so I can have it on my Mac side.

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Not to worry- there was a release (I can't remember the link) stating that Dreamweaver will live. I believe they will by phasing out GoLive.

7. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

i think you're confused. CS3 may have dreamweaver and fireworks, and will definitely have flash. what are you trying to say?

8. geoffism thread starter macrumors regular

geoffism

It seems that DW8 can open GL2 files. Did it today (Mac PB).

As far as GL2 vs. DW8, I would assume they would keep the DW name, it carries so much more marketshare and brand awareness than GL. But who knows... I haven't heard one peep about CS3 or what ever they are going to call it.

9. Squareball macrumors regular

10. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

What I'm saying is I'm not too happy about paying for a whole new suite so that I can have Studio 8 (aka CS3) running natively on my MacBook when a universal patch should be offered. Yes I know the excuses about all the code and how difficult it would be for Adobe to release a patch, but at the end of the day it's just about Adobe fleecing the market now they have a virtual monopoly. They played the same game from CS to CS2, CS should never have been released.

11. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

I now understand your pont, but I think you're missing something. CS3 is not just studio 8 and CS2 bundled together, then made universal. All CS3 apps have a complete UI redesign, new features, and new integration with the apps previously developed by the other company. As Adobe's developers are all working on this, creating universal patch would be a waste of time.

12. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I have no doubt CS3 will have redesign UI and the Menu bars will be sorted into different configurations, but it would have to be ground breaking new additions to CS3 to justify the purchase.

Adobe have to create (insert re-write) CS2 because it has so much arbitrary code left over from windows ports and sloppy programming they've made a task for themselves to just simply patch it for universal support. Had Adobe written for Mac correctly in the first place they may not have been faced with this mammoth task. Adobe fast became a windows advocate during the whole Creative Suite phase and now Apple have gone Intel it has thrown them to a programming tizzy again.

Like I said Adobe should never have released CS they should have waited until they got things "right" and released CS2 as CS. Now they are doing the same thing with CS3 only this time they have the acquisition of Macromedia up their sleeves to convince people it will be something new.