Adobe Illustrator CS Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redynvre, Aug 4, 2005.

1. redynvre macrumors newbie

Hello All!

I am having an issue with Adobe Illustrator CS1. It keeps quitting on me, especially when the file gets big. I have a dual 2.5 G5.
    Everything elese works just fine, including huge Photoshop files. No problem there. So I don't think it is a Ram issue.

Yesterday, Illustrator quitted 7 times!!

Any idea of what it could be? I will try to reinstall the software. The funny thing is I had the exact same problem with Illustrator 9 on my old G4!

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Could be a few things- but a couple of ideas- is it with ALL files, or just certain files? It could be a corrupt or otherwise surly font issue.

Another easy thing to try is deleting the illustrator preference file.

3. St Soichiro macrumors regular

Surprising and puzzling. I use AI and PS on a dual 2.7 all the time, with no problems.

Few questions:
    Did you check for any updates for AI? Launch AI and select the "Updates..." option under Help.
    How much RAM does your Mac have?
    I looked but could not find the memory allocation option for AI (like there is for PS). You can increase that to ~50% of you physical RAM. I believe that the default is 100MB, which leads to lot of scratch disk access for large files.

Some things you may want to try before reinstalling AI:
    1. Fix permissions :D (the cure-all, never hurts)
    2. Trash the pref files for AI and then relaunch it so that they are new. You may need a copy of your license codes in case they are lost during this process.
    3. Find someone else to open those files to see if it is a App specific or File specific problem.

Keep us updated with more details.

4. Diomedes macrumors 6502

Most likely culprit...FONT

Whenever Illustrator quits on me, it's almost invariably due to a font error. For example, the other day I was trying to open a layered PDF file that I created in Visio from my desktop PC, but Illustrator kept crashing on me, and usually so fast that I didn't really have time to see any error message. When I finally did see it, the problem was due to a TrueType font that hadn't been properly embedded, and which I didn't have on my Mac. At one point Illustrator allowed me to Replace the font, and everything worked normally.