Adobe Illustrator CS Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redynvre, Aug 4, 2005.

1. redynvre macrumors newbie

Apr 30, 2004
    Hello All!

I am having an issue with Adobe Illustrator CS1. It keeps quitting on me, especially when the file gets big. I have a dual 2.5 G5.
    Everything elese works just fine, including huge Photoshop files. No problem there. So I don't think it is a Ram issue.

Yesterday, Illustrator quitted 7 times!!

Any idea of what it could be? I will try to reinstall the software. The funny thing is I had the exact same problem with Illustrator 9 on my old G4!

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003
    Could be a few things- but a couple of ideas- is it with ALL files, or just certain files? It could be a corrupt or otherwise surly font issue.

Another easy thing to try is deleting the illustrator preference file.
  3. St Soichiro macrumors regular

Jun 30, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    Surprising and puzzling. I use AI and PS on a dual 2.7 all the time, with no problems.

Few questions:
    Did you check for any updates for AI? Launch AI and select the "Updates..." option under Help.
    How much RAM does your Mac have?
    I looked but could not find the memory allocation option for AI (like there is for PS). You can increase that to ~50% of you physical RAM. I believe that the default is 100MB, which leads to lot of scratch disk access for large files.

Some things you may want to try before reinstalling AI:
    1. Fix permissions :D (the cure-all, never hurts)
    2. Trash the pref files for AI and then relaunch it so that they are new. You may need a copy of your license codes in case they are lost during this process.
    3. Find someone else to open those files to see if it is a App specific or File specific problem.

Keep us updated with more details.
  4. Diomedes macrumors 6502

Oct 5, 2004
    San Francisco
    Most likely culprit...FONT

Whenever Illustrator quits on me, it's almost invariably due to a font error. For example, the other day I was trying to open a layered PDF file that I created in Visio from my desktop PC, but Illustrator kept crashing on me, and usually so fast that I didn't really have time to see any error message. When I finally did see it, the problem was due to a TrueType font that hadn't been properly embedded, and which I didn't have on my Mac. At one point Illustrator allowed me to Replace the font, and everything worked normally.