Adobe Illustrator cs2 "unknown error" Can't save !

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by checkTHEDRESSER, Dec 14, 2006.

1. checkTHEDRESSER macrumors newbie

I have an intel iMac and have re installed illustrator cs2 multiple times.

When I want to save a file in illustrator I get an " unknown error [CANT]"

please help thanks.

2. lorductape macrumors 6502

lorductape

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Have you tried saving or exporting as different file versions? AI, EPS, PDF?
    Where are you trying to save these files? Have you tried repairing permissions? Have you downloaded and installed all Illustrator updates?

Is this a legit copy of Illustrator?

4. checkTHEDRESSER thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a legit copy. When I try to save it as eps or another file I get "can't save embeded font errors"

How do I repair the permissions?

and no I have not tried any updates

Joseph

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

6. checkTHEDRESSER thread starter macrumors newbie

okay i saved a file without a font. just a rectangle and it worked fine. I just repaired my permissions but still have the unknown error.

It has to be something with the fonts because if I choose trade gothic it will have (regular,regular,regular,regular) but the second regular is bold, oblique, etc.

So I have an issue with my fonts and illustrator how can I resolve that?

Thanks so much

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Perhaps not all fonts. Try another test file with a different font, see if that works first before narrowing it down to the font that is causing the problems.

What are you using for font management? Suitcase, FontExplorer X... FontBook?

8. checkTHEDRESSER thread starter macrumors newbie

It's all fonts from arial -times to anything. Im using font book but im not adding fonts just using the system fonts.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Youknow that reinstalling Illustrator does not replace the Preferences files in ~user/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.whatever.plist

Also it may not change out other files in the various applications support areas, caches, preferences or plug-ins.

You need to be aware of all the files that go into opening an adobe app...

10. checkTHEDRESSER thread starter macrumors newbie

okay...so how can I resolve my font issue in illustrator so i can save a file and not get an "unknown error"

11. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

Is there a ScriptingAdditions folder? If not, create a new folder in [hard disk] /Library and name it ScriptingAdditions. Then remove and re-install everything. This folder goes bad if you've recently done a repair-install of OS X.

That might work for you. No guarantees, though.

12. petertrain macrumors newbie

Quick fix

If you select all of the text and do command-shift-O, it will convert all of the fonts to vectors, and you will be able to save. I'm still working on fixing my fonts as well. Fontbook wasn't much help so far!

13. D2C macrumors newbie

Illustrator CS2 Can't Save - "An unknown error has occured"

Have read over previous posts on this error message, most postings seem to pertain to fonts and font problems BUT I have tried to create a new document with a simple rectangular 1 point box and receive this error message.

Have tried to save a new document and "Save As" from an existing document and receive this message.

Placed the CS2 Illustrator folder in the Trash and deleted, then reinstalled from original discs - same error message even after reinstallation. Deleted the plist for Illustrator and relaunched the program, same error message.

Any suggestions??