Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

095244-ps_pre_elements.jpg

Adobe today announced the launch of Photoshop Elements 9 and Premiere Elements 9, the latest versions of the company's consumer-grade photo and video editing software packages for Mac and Windows. It marks the first appearance of Premiere Elements for the Mac OS X platform.
Photoshop Elements 9 and Premiere Elements 9 feature all the tools users need to make the most of their photos and videos. Adapted from Photoshop CS5's celebrated Content Aware Fill feature, the content intelligence in the Spot Healing Brush analyzes what's in the image and quickly de-clutters or repairs photos (like removing tourists from a crowded scene) with a swipe of a brush, magically filling in the background. Several new Guided Edit options walk users step-by-step through the process of achieving cool editing effects such as Out of Bounds, making an element of a photo appear to leap off the page in 3D, creating pop art masterpieces, or retouching made easy via the perfect portraits feature.

With Premiere Elements 9, users can create movies in just minutes with the help of intelligent tools that automatically fix audio problems, trim away bad footage, stabilize shaky shots and correct bad color and lighting problems. Any video can simply be turned into an animated film with Cartoon Effects, and optimized performance makes editing and viewing smooth, even in HD.
The releases launch today on Adobe.com and will begin appearing in retail stores and other sales channels in the near future. Suggested retail pricing is set at $99.99 each for Photoshop Elements 9 and Premiere Elements 9, or $149.99 for a bundle of the new packages. The company currently appears to be offering mail-in rebates to bring pricing down to $79.99 for the individual applications and $119.99 for the bundle, but the site has yet to be updated with details on the rebate program.

A "Plus" package is also available for an additional $49.99, providing users with 20 GB of online storage for automatic backup and sharing and ongoing automatic downloads of additional content such as tutorials, artwork and interactive online templates.

Article Link: Adobe Launches Photoshop Elements 9 and Premiere Elements 9

CdnBook

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2009
Hopefully this spurs Apple to optimize the next version of Final Cut Studio with OpenCL... so we can finally use our graphics cards to render with, and take advantage of all that Snow Leopard goodness.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
I hope they're more stable releases than Photoshop CS5.

CS5 sure runs slow and crashes often on an iMac core i7.

Anyone else have any experience with Photoshop CS5 speed and stability to share?

rebby

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
MN

Anyone else have any experience with Photoshop CS5 speed and stability to share?

CS5 works great for me. I'm running a mid-2009 17" MBP w/8gb RAM and 2 7200rpm 500gb drives in RAID0.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Meh, iMovie is an amazing program. Not wasting money on Premiere Elements. Pixelmator for $59 is a much better solution than paying $99 for PS Elements. I still don't like how Adobe squeezes in the Opera web browser during the installation, seems to be no way to get rid of it. I'll pass. :rolleyes:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
this sounds quite enticing for $119.

Does anybody know how good the video application is?

Is it similar to imovie HD (meaning a real timeline and real editing capabilities)?

ChuckB

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2010
It comes with the new "Organizer" and doesn't mention Bridge anymore - does anyone know if the Organizer replaces Bridge? If so, any experience with it (I think it existed on Windows before)?

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003

I've had little to no issues with CS5 on my i5 iMac.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
I would recommend to wait for the 'mystery' application coming from apple in the near future before you waste your money in this pile of junk...

midwestshooter

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2003
It comes with the new "Organizer" and doesn't mention Bridge anymore - does anyone know if the Organizer replaces Bridge? If so, any experience with it (I think it existed on Windows before)?

Bridge is a valuable feature of the Mac version of PSE 8 - and I can only hope that it is included in PSE 9. Interestingly, Bridge is NOT included in the PC version of PSE 8. Bridge is part of the CS5 full Photoshop for both Macs and PCs.

For serious image work, Bridge is superior to "Organizer" - and if it is missing from the Mac side of PSE 9, I hope that the current version of CS4 Bridge will still work after upgrading.

Content aware fill (now on Photoshop CS5) is fantastic - and a great addition to the Elements versions.version

grs

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Reno, NV

CS5 works great on my 24" Aluminum iMac and 15" MacBook Pro i7. It runs fast and has never crashed.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Does Photoshop Elements 9 finally support more than 8-bit color depth?

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008

Runs like a dream here (27" iMac, i7, 8 GB RAM). Launches in under three bounces.

Check your fonts maybe - something like font explorer pro to ensure that you don't have anything more than essential up and running and there are no corruptions/conflicts - most of my issues with Adobe software are caused by dodgy fonts...

Zmmin3

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2009
I was just on their site:

Adobe is offering a $20 mail in rebate on this new elements, also looks like a $20 card from Shutterfly.

As far as new features for MacOS version of Elements 9, I saw these:

-Organize, find, and view all your photos and video clips in the convenient, easy-to-use Organizer
-Find photos of specific people fast with automatic People Recognition
-Quickly find your best photos and video clips with the Auto-Analyzer
-Edit photos in full-screen mode directly from the Organizer
-See the same photos and videos on all of your computers with automatic syncing*
-Get automatic online backup and 2GB of storage* — enough for up to 1,500 photos†
-View your photos from any web-enabled computer*
-Instantly unclutter and repair photos
-Match the style of a favorite photo automatically
-Create stunning pop art, reflections, portrait effects, LOMO camera style photography effects‡, and more
-Create richly layered photos using layer masks
-Quickly share photos and videos on Facebook*
-Get ongoing how-tos with helpful tips and tricks*
-Print calendars, cards, and photo books with your home printer
-Share photos via fun Online Albums

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
64 bit? Carbon? GC aware?

It would be really embarrassing if they were, but silly if there weren't. For all their complaining Adobe seems to be beating Apple at integrating SL tech.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.