Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe today updated its Lightroom photography app for iOS devices to version 2.2, adding two small but notable features. Lightroom is now able to output full resolution files for any file, whether captured directly on an iOS device or taken on a standard camera and transferred to an iPhone iPad.

Files added to an iOS device from a direct connection with a camera are also able to be transferred in full resolution to other mobile devices that are signed into the same Adobe account. According to Adobe, files captured with iPhone are available for editing and exporting on an iPad in full resolution and vice versa.

adobelightroom-800x704.jpg

Today's update also brings improved 3D Touch support to the Lightroom app on the iPhone 6s. Peek and Pop 3D Touch gestures are available in the Camera Roll browser view, allowing users to quickly preview images in a larger size while browsing through their photo collections.
- New: Full resolution output. Now, export and share photos that were captured on your device or that you added to your device at full resolution.
- Updated: 3D Touch support in the Camera Roll browser view. Quickly preview your image with Peek & Pop when browsing Camera Roll photos in the app.
- Fixed: Issue that lead to a potential crash.
- Improved: Various bugs and issues.
For those unfamiliar with Lightroom, it is Adobe's professional-level photo editing software. Lightroom for iOS devices is a free download, but because it is designed to work alongside the Lightroom app for the desktop, it requires a subscription to Adobe's Creative Cloud Photography plan, priced at $9.99 per month. A 30-day free trial is available.

Adobe has separate Lightroom apps for the iPad [Direct Link] and the iPhone [Direct Link].

Article Link: Adobe Lightroom for iOS Gains Full Resolution Support, 3D Touch in Camera Roll Browser

Reactions: dragje

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
The post was extremely helpful for me. It led me to look into the app, then Creative Cloud. My wife is a photographer running CS5. I think I'll surprise her. ;)

I really love the subscription based ways (CC, Office 365). It's cheaper up front, has top-of-the-line features, and is always up to date. Best way to go for me.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
The post was extremely helpful for me. It led me to look into the app, then Creative Cloud. My wife is a photographer running CS5. I think I'll surprise her. ;)

I really love the subscription based ways (CC, Office 365). It's cheaper up front, has top-of-the-line features, and is always up to date. Best way to go for me.

I've had an Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan since it launched and I feel it's been worth the $9.99 I've paid each month. Adobe is pretty good about regular updates and adding new features. I prefer the monthly fee over having to hassle with purchasing updates when a new version is out.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Lightroom is by far the best photo retouching software out there, using it on daily bases, same as Photoshop.
[doublepost=1456956651][/doublepost]
I've had an Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan since it launched and I feel it's been worth the $9.99 I've paid each month. Adobe is pretty good about regular updates and adding new features. I prefer the monthly fee over having to hassle with purchasing updates when a new version is out.

Same here, got the master collection subscription

Reactions: naeS1Sean

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
Yes. I feel the same way. :cool:

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
I had a few issues with the Creative Cloud syncing and how updates change or move folders. Except for the file sync, the Suite of Software is great. Hope this app makes it easier to fetch files in the Creative Cloud for retouching and taking pictures with the Camera app in iOS and upload it to the Cloud.

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011

Whoaaaa, how much does Adobe pay you, staff member?! I BOUGHT Lightroom 6 - and I'm glad I did! Adobe just ****ed up the importer on Lr 6.4 AGAIN! No 6.4.1 in sight! They probably wait and keep the importer ****ed until their next 6.5, which will appear who knows when...

Installed the previous 6.3 again. And if I think about paying Abobe 10$ per month for their whole ****ups (importer in 6.2 anyone?), bug fixes, ****ups again (6.4 importer)... plus so far they only added 2 new features (comparing to the purchased version) in Lr over all those months!

So all in all I paid about 300$ over the last ~8 (!) years: starting with Lr 3, upgrading to 4, skipping 5 (no useful features for me) and now upgrade to 6. That's just about ~3.2$ A MONTH - a third of what you are currently paying! And I have exactly those features that I want - I decide when to upgrade!

Update: Oh and the BEST: I can use my software fully for as long as I want! And from the current pace of development in Lr 6 I think that this will be a loooooooong time...

Go figure...

Josh haftel

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2016
Lightroom for iOS devices is a free download, but because it is designed to work alongside the Lightroom app for the desktop, it requires a subscription to Adobe's Creative Cloud Photography plan, priced at $9.99 per month. A 30-day free trial is available.
This is misleading. Lightroom for iOS (or Android for that matter) do not require a subscription. They are a free download and work with 100% local functionality, for free, without an ID or trial. If you have an Adobe Creative Cloud plan, you get the additional benefit of cloud backup and sync with Lightroom desktop and Lightroom web.

Reactions: till213

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Whoaaaa, how much does Adobe pay you, staff member?! I BOUGHT Lightroom 6 - and I'm glad I did! Adobe just ****ed up the importer on Lr 6.4 AGAIN! No 6.4.1 in sight! They probably wait and keep the importer ****ed until their next 6.5, which will appear who knows when...

Installed the previous 6.3 again. And if I think about paying Abobe 10$ per month for their whole ****ups (importer in 6.2 anyone?), bug fixes, ****ups again (6.4 importer)... plus so far they only added 2 new features (comparing to the purchased version) in Lr over all those months!

So all in all I paid about 300$ over the last ~8 (!) years: starting with Lr 3, upgrading to 4, skipping 5 (no useful features for me) and now upgrade to 6. That's just about ~3.2$ A MONTH - a third of what you are currently paying! And I have exactly those features that I want - I decide when to upgrade!

Update: Oh and the BEST: I can use my software fully for as long as I want! And from the current pace of development in Lr 6 I think that this will be a loooooooong time...

Go figure...

What's wrong with the subscription model? It saves you having to pay out a huge amount for a new version. And the Adobe Creative Cloud apps are good - Lightroom especially. There have been a lot of snarky comments going around about Adobe, but I think their apps are brilliant. Maybe it just stems from the days when their apps were very expensive one-off purchases: not being able to afford them, some people turned to spite instead. The same thing happened to Apple way back. And Lightroom 6.4 is working just fine here.

JBRDiver

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2015
UK
As others have pointed out, Lightroom Mobile for iOS is still crippled without support for camera RAW files. Why they don't just add the option to purchase RAW profiles for your particular cameras as an in-app purchase is beyond me!

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

Go figure...
Whoaaaa, are you telling me you saved a whopping ~$6 a month? You wrote the equivalent of Homer's Odyssey about 6 ****** dollars... and change; can't forget the change (there's no actual profanity under the asterisks, just trying to visually match your outrage... grrrrrr:D). Can I assume photography is a hobby and not a profession? No professional worth his or her salt would be so up in arms over $6. If it's just your philosophical stance, then hey, to each his own. Moderate that outrage man. It ain't that crucial.:)

Reactions: AlliFlowers

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
Wow! Just wow! So many Adobe employees in this forum this morning! Don't you have better things to do? Like fixing your ****ing Lr Importer - again?! :mad:
lol, don't be stupid. Not everyone hates what you hate, silly person.

Is the MacRumors staff member that likes it as well an Adobe employee like me? lol :p

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
This is misleading. Lightroom for iOS (or Android for that matter) do not require a subscription. They are a free download and work with 100% local functionality, for free, without an ID or trial. If you have an Adobe Creative Cloud plan, you get the additional benefit of cloud backup and sync with Lightroom desktop and Lightroom web.
The iOS app description specifically states that it will require a subscription after 30 days for many features. I suppose that those features are important for many users.
Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 09.58.18.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.