Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe's professional editing software Lightroom may soon make its way to the iPad, according to a product listing on Adobe's website that appeared briefly before being pulled. The mobile software was listed with a $99 cloud subscription, to be renewed on a yearly basis.

Originally discovered by 9to5Mac, Adobe's tagline for Lightroom for mobile is "Take Lightroom anywhere," and according to an Adobe support employee, the software has been designed for the iPad and includes many of the same features found in the desktop version of Lightroom.

lightroom.jpg
Like Apple's own Aperture software, Lightroom is designed for post production work, allowing its users to edit and manage high volumes of digital images.

Lightroom for mobile devices has been in the works for several months now, and back in May of 2013, Adobe demonstrated a concept for a Lightroom-style photo editing app for the iPad.

The app was cloud-based, and while it was designed to serve as a companion app to the full Lightroom software, it did offer features for on-the-go photo editing. In the demo, the app was able to edit raw photos imported from a camera, implementing changes to exposure, clarity, shadows, highlights, and white balance.

Adobe's May 2013 demo of Lightroom on an iPad

Changes made within the app synced with the desktop version of Lightroom, allowing the same photos to be edited on desktop computers, laptops, and on the iPad. Based on the reoccurring subscription fees for Lightroom mobile listed above, it is likely that the finished product works in much the same way, storing photos and edits in the cloud.

In May of 2013, Adobe abandoned its standard Creative Suite of apps, electing instead to offer cloud-based versions of all its apps. Lightroom 5 was later released in June of 2013 and offered both standalone and as a part of the Creative Cloud service.

It is likely that the upcoming Lightroom for iPad will be able to sync with both versions of the software and it is possible that it will be included for free to Creative Cloud subscribers that pay for Adobe's full suite of software.

Though it is unknown when Lightroom for iPad might launch, its brief appearance on the Adobe website suggests that a release is imminent.

Article Link: Adobe Lightroom for iPad Likely Coming Soon With Cloud Syncing and $99 Subscription Fee

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
It was bad enough when they did it for the desktop apps but the mobile apps too?

Get the **** outta here.

Renzatic

Suspended
$99.00 for an iPad app? Seriously? And 'per year'?

Uh, no... Hard sell? Stay tuned...

If it's sporting the same functionality as the Mac/PC version of Lightroom, then it being "simply" an iPad app shouldn't make any difference on the price. If it does the job, it does the job, no matter what platform its on.

...though admittedly, I'm still not completely cool with subscription based software.

musser

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2004
Done and done.

I've given them enough of my money ($636 a year!). They can keep this one.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
But wait!

You really pay for the security of having a copy in the ultra-secure, always available Adobe cloud...

Wait a minute. How many passwords and credit cards got compromised recently?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'm canceling my CC in May, but otherwise it's a great service. People here gripe about the price, but it's been worth every penny for me. I'm glad Lightroom is coming to the mobile market. It's a no brainer to the people using their iPads as full fledge photo studios.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
$99/year on top of a Creative Cloud membership?

I don't mind paying for software on the Mac or iOS, but frankly, I think it should be included with Creative Cloud or sold as a standalone app for a much more reasonable fee in combination. Or offered independently of Creative Cloud entirely. I'm looking forward to Adobe seeing more serious competition.

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
Adobe is run by complete morons. Forcing users to rent the software that runs files they've already created is dumber than anything Tim Cook has ever done, and that's saying a lot. Anyone who's smart will just pirate CC anyway, or keep using CS6.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Cloud Smchmoud

I really hope that Adobe has been losing money since they moved to a dumb subscription model.

Renzatic

Suspended
$99/year on top of a Creative Cloud membership?

I don't mind paying for software on the Mac or iOS, but frankly, I think it should be included with Creative Cloud or sold as a standalone app for a much more reasonable fee in combination. Or offered independently of Creative Cloud entirely. I'm looking forward to Adobe seeing more serious competition.

That's the standalone price by itself. Though if you've already got a sub for Lightroom through Creative Cloud, you'll probably have access to the app on the iPad as soon as its released.

...or at least you damn well better.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Wow, if that is not included in the Creative Cloud subscription, that is all kinds of messed up. How do they justify this? Wouldn't this be the only Adobe product (at least int he consumer space) that is not covered by the CC subscription?

Man, I would love to do Lightroom editing and sorting on my iPad, but there is no way in hell I'm paying them more than the $600 per year I already am. I really hope this subscription price is a standalone price if you don't want CC.

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
Geeze! Adobe is nickle and diming everything! Can someone please develop a good photo editing software so Adobe is forced to look at reality and abandon this pricing scheme?! Luckily I have a family member who works for adobe and was able to get me an old copy of CS6.

HAudidoody

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2013
No way. I paid less for the PC version, and it's much more useful on a real computer.

As much as I love Lightroom, under no circumstances, none, will I pay a subscription to be allowed to work on existing and completed files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.