Adobe on iMAC

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by dualburn001, Feb 22, 2002.

1. dualburn001 macrumors regular

Hey if I get the 700mhz iMac (low-end, but the new 1) with 512mb of ram (1 dimm) would i be able to run adobe appz like photoshop at a reasonable speed. I would go for the tower but I'm kinda broke and I need a Mac for photo editing fast. PLease tell me your opinions.

Dualburn001

2. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Yes, you should be fine if you are not doing qany major 80meg file work. If so, then I'd go up to a gig of memory.

3. Jookbox macrumors 6502

imacs are fast nowadays. the only problem i would have is the small screen and low resolution.

4. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

It's fun

Aside from the lower resolution offered by the PowerMacs (at least potentially), the iMac is now an awesome machine. My 400MHz G4 will last me some time, as will my iMac DV at 400MHz, and now I've worked with the new iMac. It will be considered fast for a good two years, and that's great. Given that it features a G4 processor, the iMac can run any professional software, and well. Heck, even Final Cut Pro 3 will do certain things in real-time. Although, with only 1024x768, Final Cut Pro 3 wouldn't be very fun.

The new iMac is a bargain, and can handle any professional applications out there. Until the PowerMac line picks up some steam, I wouldn't even recommend the PowerMacs, unless a cinema display or a trifle more screen reality is necessary, I say buy an iMac in a jiffy.

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The new iMac is such a steal that it's not even funny.
    With a Superdrive in the high end model and processor up to 800mhz you've got some serious power. I'm shooting for getting a lab full of these at my work. Upgrade the RAM if you need to, get an external hard-drive if you need to...the new iMac is a computer to be reckoned with!

6. moby1 macrumors 6502

I chose the iMac...

I looked carefully at the Apple Studio Display and I think the 15" ASD is a liitle bit better display than the iMac 15". I really don't care for the resolution on the 17" ASD, it strains my eyes. I love the 22" ACD but it's just too much for me, maybe later : )

So I was left with the option of a closeout G4 with SuperDrive and 15" ASD or an iMac. If I got the G4 the major advantage would be the expandability. That'd mean I'd probably put in a couple hundred more into the G4 later.
    In six months, my needs may be different. The closeout G4 would've lost a lot of value but the iMac would still have a very strong resale.

The iMac is fast enough to run with the G4 (SP) towers and almost keep up,
    check out; http://barefeats.com/pm05.html

I bought a 512 MB RAM chip from OWC for about $135 too!

Damn that Dual 1GHz is fast!

7. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Re: Adobe on iMAC

The problem with your question lies in the statement that you need a Mac fast. You won't be seeing a 700MHz iMac anywhere in the neighbourhood of "soon". We're into the last week of February and the preordered 800's aren't all delivered.. so if you haven't placed an order yet for a 700.. well... I would expect a month's wait. If you need a Mac fast, buy a refurb 733 tower from Apple's website.

8. dualburn001 thread starter macrumors regular

when I said i need it fast I meant like a month fast