Adobe PageMaker and XML/PDF

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrjamin, Nov 14, 2003.

1. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem. Basically, a potential client is looking to get himself a new website. The guy runs a magazine called "Blahblah" which is a local entertainments listings magazine. All the layout is done on PageMaker 6 (windows). He would like to go database driven for the website and ideally wants to keep all of the events in a database so they can be dynamically displayer on a website, and also have the ability to export them into PageMaker.

I'm a PHP programmer and can easily export the contents of a database table to PDF or XML, but my potential client isn't sure on PageMaker's import capabilities. I'm assuming that it'll handle PDFs ok - anybody know for sure? The adobe website was pretty much useless! Better yet, does PageMaker have any database connectivity built-in?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

MrJ

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: Adobe PageMaker and XML/PDF

First off, Adobe no longer targets PageMaker toward the professional publishing market. The venerable DTP app is now targeted against Print Shop Deluxe. You need to convince your potential client of the graces of InDesign or another modern app.

3. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Re: Re: Adobe PageMaker and XML/PDF

no chance - tried that approach. The guy runs the magazine by himself and is pretty computer illiterate - he's been using pagemaker for the last 5 or 6 (maybe more - how long's it been around?) and is reluctant to change!

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Adobe has announced PageMakers death a couple times, but InDesign and/or FrameMaker may better suit the guys needs better.

They have a PageMaker -vs- Indesign -vs- FrameMaker pdf.

http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/pdfs/idn2_vs_pm7_vs_fm7_ue.pdf

As stated PageMaker is basically Adobe PrintShop, while Indesign is now the Page Layout app, and FrameMaker is a "XML/Page Layout word processor" good enough to handle very large documents or cross media publishing.

5. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

yeah, i found the PDF. Unfortunately there's no way I can persuade this guy to change his software (see above!).

I guess I'm just gonna have to suggest cut and paste from a dynamically generated page :(

Oh well, life goes on...

6. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

I found my answer!

PageMaker has its own markup language. Its very ugly and crude, but works a treat.

Last chapter in the PageMaker 6.5 manual for anyone who's interested