Adobe Pagemaker - no further development

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chip NoVaMac, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Was browsing through Mac World UK and saw a piece that Adobe is doing no further development on Pagemaker. I guess the InDesign CS is the program of choice now.

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Adobe Pagemaker - no further development

i think it will be hard for the new program to fully get legs...but that is what happens when something very popular gets shut down

it took a long time for apple to finally make the switch from os 9 to os x but after all the long grwoing pains, it looks like os x is now the standard

maybe indesign will be "it" in a couple of years

3. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

Re: Re: Adobe Pagemaker - no further development

Adobe offers a Pagemaker plugin for ID that offers the same functionality and commands that Pagemaker users are familiar with. there's an article in this month's MacWorld that explains the Pagemaker to ID migration, if you're interested.

InDesign's got legs. long, shapely legs terminating in firm, pert buttocks. uh, i mean, CS is a pretty mature version and a lot of people in the publishing/printing industry already offer full ID support. especially since Quark has failed to innovate in, how long? point being, in my opinion ID has already arrived and has nowhere to go but up. i think you're right about ID being "it" in a few years, once enough people stop running an unsupported OS for the sole sake of a program that's failed to offer its users a worthwhile upgrade in years.

ok, i'm done complaining now.

4. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Re: Re: Re: Adobe Pagemaker - no further development

Love your imagery. I got my PB 12" as a gift from my other half since I do ad creation for my company. He felt that in order to grow and get into extra outside work i needed the Mac.

I had used MS Publisher in Windoze to create ads. I was worried that i would not be able to get up to speed with Creative Suite CS in the time frame that my boss would expect. Was I wrong. InDesign gave me capabilities that I never had before. In many ways I can create ads faster with InDesign then in Publisher, even thought I had "templates' for the products in Publisher; and each InDesign ad is designed from the ground up. Never felt that comfortable with Pagemaker (though to be fair I was never "forced" to really use it).

The only issue I have is that some production houses that I work with are still with Quark (versions 4 through 5). A few are looking towards InDesign, but they are 1 to 2 years away at least.

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Re: Adobe Pagemaker - no further development

indesign may be really cute and pretty...sure, we are talking about adobe so they are good at getting their act together and making the best software anywhere

...but what do you mean by a lot of people in the industry using it?

software titles not proven and rather new take a very long time to take hold...sometimes several versions into the title that are proven and stable, by critics and individual users, because it takes that for any medium to large organization to buy a boat load of software and do the migration thing

6. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

Re: Re: Re: Re: Adobe Pagemaker - no further development

look around, it's already got a foothold both on the production side and the service bureau side. it may not have the majority of users, but everyone knows what it is and a significant number of those people think it's a contender. what i said was: a lot of people support it. but let me amend that statement to: enough people in the industry are supporting it that it's no longer an unknown.

people i've spoken with have said they'd give ID a shot if it didn't mean migrating everything to OS X. (of course, quark is one reason a lot of people haven't moved to X already; maybe that's the evil plan? keep 'em shackled to 9 so no one can run ID?)

so the issue (for some) is migration, and not the limitations of InDesign. and migrating your workflow to a new OS, i admit, is a pretty big issue. but my point is, i think with InDesign CS the program has reached a point at which it's no longer 'rather new.' i know of several collegiate art departments that have already stopped instructing on Quark.

7. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Re: Adobe Pagemaker - no further development

\
    Good.

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Adobe Pagemaker - no further development

so many graphics people have all the adobe titles, some macromedia stuff, and quark

it's expensive but to cover all service bureau/printers it just still makes sense

i would like to see fewer titles from those companies do the job decreasing our cost as computer designers and students (like me)...but it's amazing just what microsoft word can do compared to a few years ago

my next mac will have panther, or if i wait, something else in the os x family and i will definitely get creative suite with my student discount at school...for starters

i might pass on quark but it's still viable and now that it's os x, it can grow bigger again

and macromedia, that's new to me so it will take some time to get used to that

but i know plenty of designers who "love" to spend their money on adobe and macromedia stuff and their work is just as much a hobby and some of these people practically hit up the stores the day the title they like is released...some of these designers don't make enough to even pay for their gear and software and upgrades, but they keep on buying up new titles and i think it's the small graphic designer and home hobbyist which keeps that company profitable

same can be said for apple since they can't rely on pros and education to keep them going...dell has really cut into the edu market so us home users are more important to apple than ever...i think we were their number one source since the beginning but i can forsee a day when dell, unfortunately so, will completely dominate the edu market

dell is so aggressive and they work the admistrators of the schools and get the sales going...i wish apple inc knew how to navigate in the business world and with sales but if they had that focus, they wouldn't be who they are today giving us the best looking, easy to use gear that they do

apple has to make better and sexier gear in order to compete...dell could rely on their great advertising, sales, and deep tentacles in business...and the surviving and thriving pc companies take the dell approach leaving us macheads with the only consistenly great looking gear on the market

9. judith macrumors regular

judith

I think In Design is sweet. After using PageMaker 5, 6.0, and 6.5 on both platforms, I can honestly say 6.5 was a major improvement, but In Design offers a lot more functionality, almost compares in the sharing and file management aspects to what Macromedia Dreamweaver is doing with digital media design.

Won't be in the market for an upgrade to CS for home use, as I don't do much in the way of printed matter/seperations, etc. anymore. I can definately see it's superior to Quark in every aspect for commercial applications tho. But then I've always hated Quark...

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i am just getting used to illustrator and quark for first time in a pre press class...man, that quark is so counter intuitive...but i read in a review that indesign is so much more user friendly

the teacher says quark is still the overwhelming industry leader but indesign is moving up quickly but it takes time since there is so much training and equipment investment in quark in the already cash strapped printing/graphics 2-D business these days

i remember when a lot of recession era businesses wanted to move from nt server from their machines but couldn't due to established nt machines and huge cost it took to put them there...and the larger cost it would incur to migrate to windows 2000...so the planned migraton of a year by microsoft took three years

i have a feeling this is the case with quark who is in, and the better indesign sitting on the outside looking in, wanting to be worked/loved/appreciated, but not getting in due to costs of migration

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I think Quark made a big mistake with the way it handled it's development for the latest versions. The story I heard (from someone who has the inside track usually...so take it for what u will) is that they made their money from the Mac client. They then spent a lot of their resources working support for the PC client, which landed themselves into bad timing with the release of OS X.

They basically shot themselves in the foot, allowing InDesign to step in to fill a space where they were not. I've heard a lot of good things about Quark 6, but some complaints as well. I am quite sure they will be around for the longhaul, but I think InDesign will have a nice wide foot for themselves where Quark lost out.