Adobe Photoshop CS RAM question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oo5yolo10, Jan 30, 2006.

1. oo5yolo10 macrumors member

oo5yolo10

I recently bought adobe photoshop, and I was waiting to buy more RAM till after I tried the program, and noticed it takes a while with photoshop to get the job done. Any suggestions about how much I should have? here are my specs
    ibook G4
    512 RAM
    1.33 GHZ
    basic graphics card. Thanks for your help!

2. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

You can check your pages in/out (look at the ratio) to see how severe your RAM shortage is, but in your case, I think its pretty much a sure thing when trying to run Photoshop CS.

Looking briefly at Crucial.com, it looks like a 512M upgrade would be around $120 and a 1G upgrade would be just under $200. I'd personally not bother with the 512MB and go straight to what's basically "Max RAM" for your laptop.

Even then, I'd not necessarily expect whiplash performance. I have 1.25GB RAM in my 12" PB 1.5GHz, and it is noticably slower than my SP 1.8GHz G5 PowerMac with 1.5GB RAM. I think that in general, to have a "powerhouse" Photoshop machine is going to require a desktop Mac - - - at least until the Universal Binaries come out. At present, running Rosetta results in roughly a 50% performance hit.

-hh

3. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

More.

Just Kidding.

Take it up to at least a GIG. More if you can afford it and it will fit. I'm not sure how much that model will hold.

I changed out 256MB for a GIG in the eMac and boy did it make a difference.

4. p0intblank macrumors 68030

It all depends on the size of the files you are working with, as well applications running in the background. I have 1.5 GB of RAM installed in my PowerBook and haven't had any problems with it. 1 GB is the mininum for me, as I like to multi-task a lot.

5. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Exactly. More ram isn't going to make photoshop any faster (unless you are already running out of ram and accessing the HD for virtual memory). I usually don't buy ram until I run out of physical ram.

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

your'll use swap space regardless of weather you run out of physical ram.

7. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I don't know how ram works technically. :) My point was just that a mac will get very slow when all the physical ram is used up. And that having more ram isn't necessarily going to make photoshop perform any faster.

8. Tigger7 macrumors newbie

:) I am running Photoshop CS2 on my 12 inch iBook 1.33. I have upgraded my ram to 1 Gig and it loads very quickly and runs smooth. I think more ram is definitely the best thing you can do. A 512 stick of ram was about $50 at Newegg (Crucial brand).