Adobe Photoshop CS6 Available for Free Public Beta

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 21, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Adobe has launched a free public beta for their new Photoshop CS6 Beta. As detailed in the press release, the commercial release will follow in the first half of this year for both Mac and Windows. Final pricing has not been announced.

[​IMG]

According to Macworld, the new version of Photoshop works only on 64-bit Mac systems and is no longer available in 32-bit mode. CNet provides a hands-on look of the new Photoshop and describes some of the many changes:
    Macworld also covers many of the new changes in detail.

Adobe highlights several of the new features found in Photoshop CS6 in this video:

Adobe Photoshop CS6 Beta is available for download at Adobe's site.

Article Link: Adobe Photoshop CS6 Available for Free Public Beta

2. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Downloading as we speak. Its nice to see they went with a black UI.

3. macrumors 6502

macstudent

Learn more about the new features

If you are interested in learning more about the new features, you can watch Deke McClelland demo all of them for free at lynda.com (you don't need to be a member) here.

4. macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted

Why doesn't Adobe just make one version of photoshop and price it at a point where mere mortals can afford it. How about somewhere between $89-$199 and throw it on the app store.

They can use all the DRM they want if they keep pricing it way out of reach of customers reach they will just crack and pirate it.

Wish apple would just end this and either buy adobe or finally unveil they're photoshop killer that's been in development forever and a day.

5. macrumors member

CS3 also had a public beta, partly because it was the first Intel Photoshop release for the Mac.

6. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I think you're looking for Photoshop Elements

7. macrumors member

i'm confused, what's with the video stuff?

like, really!
    don't they have video apps?
    or is this their me too iMovies?

8. Guest

Would the beta be deactivated once the real thing ships?

9. macrumors 6502

Steve killed Flash so they have to make money, somehow.

10. macrumors 6502a

Does Adobe Premiere ring a bell? It is part of the CS, but previously only in the more expensive versions. They just moved it to the lower versions.

11. macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted

I don't think so. I'm a professional video editor I use extended edition.

Although after watching the demo I still see a reason for the weird video editing stuff. The demo didn't show us why it would be better than using premiere or after effects to do those functions.

12. macrumors 65816

Yumunum

He mentioned making "one version" though. I think he wants just one version of Photoshop at a decent cost.

13. macrumors 68000

wikus

One of the most annoying things Adobe did in CS5 was the removal of being able to zoom in/out with the scroll wheel while using the Polygonal Lasso Tool.

Anyone who does precise selections knows what a pain in the ass it is now. Hopefully CS6 will fix that.

14. macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted

I'm just saying Adobe price the damn thing at something realistic. Most media professionals are like starving artists, only a few are really making great money.

15. macrumors newbie

Aww… that would be sad :(

16. macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted

The deactivated CS3 when the Beta was over.

17. macrumors 601

Krafty

I think so:

18. macrumors 6502a

Because home consumers is NOT the target audience for Photoshop and Creative Suite? It is professional software for professional users. They have different programs to target home users and consumers, like the Elements series of products. If you are one of the few home users that can, needs and actually does use the additional features not present in consumer products, I am quite sure you would be willing to pony up the money. Most consumers though are more interesting in pirating professional software and showing off to their buddies what cool stuff they have without ever being able to utilize it more than the basics that are also present in iPhoto.

If you can/need more but can't afford it, check out Pixelmator, which works the same way as Photoshop (incl keyboard shortcuts) for just $29.99, though it is not as full featured as the real thing.

19. macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Those are rather well-done videos; very much appreciated. I think I may even subscribe to lynda.com now. The host in that Adobe "6 things" clip was speaking just a touch too fast and it was really bugging me.

20. macrumors G5

Macman45

Ahmen to that, but not likely to happen...I've mentioned before that I fell out with Adobe big time years ago, but I have to admit this is tempting. Cheap it will not be, but the likelihood is that it will be a quality product. I might just have a look.

21. macrumors 68000

wikus

Pixelmator is a sweet app. A great 'in-between' choice for those that need more options than Photoshop Elements but not nearly as many as the full version of Photoshop.

However, no professional is going to use Pixelmator in a studio environment. Clients, agencies, studios, etc all use Photoshop, its the gold standard.

22. macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Doesn't look like "Reverse Beer-goggles" aka Image De-blur is in the beta. At least, I can't find it. :(

23. wikus, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

macrumors 68000

wikus

24. macrumors 601

Westside guy

Because they can.

Because there isn't a viable competitor for professionals. I hate that, and I hate the bloat and DRM and all the crap that comes with it being an Adobe product... but there isn't another option for professionals.

25. macrumors newbie

Cool