Adobe Photoshop CS6 Beta Hits 500,000 Downloads

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 28, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

One week after the public beta launch of Photoshop CS6, Adobe today announced that the software has already hit 500,000 downloads.
    Adobe has yet to announce final pricing for Photoshop CS6, but has indicated that it will launch sometime in the first half of this year.

[​IMG]

Users of older Macs should note that Photoshop CS6 drops support for 32-bit Macs, leaving out systems utilizing Intel Core Solo or Core Duo processors. Intel Core 2 Duo processors and later offer 64-bit support required for Photoshop CS6.

Article Link: Adobe Photoshop CS6 Beta Hits 500,000 Downloads

2. macrumors 6502a

So far it's running very well on my 2009 Mac Pro. It seems better optimized especially using my GTX285 for gpu acceleration. The Lightroom crop module is taking some getting used to but I like that I can finally change the UI color.

3. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

can't believe it's CS6 already! seems so fast!

does anybody know anything about its anti-piracy measures, any news on that yet? I heard it was a new take on DRM.

----------

the UI color is a big issue for you?

4. macrumors 6502a

Yes it's called "purchase it". :rolleyes:

----------

Oh no I just like that I can make it darker like some of their video editing apps. It's a nice addition.

5. macrumors 68020

Quite impressive.

6. macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

Seems like it's going to be quite a big hit. I haven't tried it out yet.

Also it seems that they keep changing the Photoshop icon just for the sake of changing it. It's starting to get a bit annoying.

7. macrumors 6502a

Have Adobe made any information about CS6 licencing available yet?
    I'm interested to know if CS will start using a cross-platform licence like the Elements 10 apps

8. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

what? you do know that adobe has big issues with piracy?

----------

very impressive:D

9. macrumors 604

chrono1081

This is the first version of Photoshop that wowed me in a LOOONG time. I'll be buying it. I really like the 3D enhancements, VERY useful stuff (for me anyway).

10. macrumors 6502

Got in on a deal last month for CS 5.5 MC for 180 bucks so I'll probably upgrade the full suite when 6 comes out. I really wish they would include LR.

11. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

chances are lightroom won't ever be part of the Creative Suite.

12. macrumors 65816

skellener

Is there anything really worthwhile upgrading for? I have the Prod Suite, and only use After Effects and Photoshop. Haven't seen any reason to move past CS5 so far. Please let us know what's new that you like for CS6. :)

13. macrumors 68000

Both Mac and Windows versions are working well on my MBP and MP. So far I've mainly explored ACR and just a couple of PS features. All four installations were smooth, fast and uneventful. CS6 is definitely a worthy upgrade over CS5 and a must have upgrade over CS4.

14. Guest

Adobe Photoshop isn't worth $100 let alone the (absurd) $600 price tag that it carries.

15. macrumors 6502a

For people who don't make money from it I understand that. My software is paid off after my first month of work a year. Not a big deal.

16. macrumors 6502a

SBlue1

wow, looks impressive

17. macrumors 68000

ThunderSkunk

Well, this is why I don't have a problem with people who DL this stuff off torrent sites. Adobe clearly makes plenty of $ off us Pro seats we buy to keep on keeping on. & if you're not using it professionally, then you weren't going to pay pro pricing for it anyway. People DLing a copy to play with & discover costs Adobe nothing, but ultimately this puts their product in the hands of hordes of new users, who hopefully use it, and by using it, learn it, adopt the workflow, and become a future paying customer. Many don't, but those don't cost Adobe anything.

Still, Autodesk and Adobe have to take the stance they do or no one would pay for it. ...so here we are. That's a big beta run. Half a million ticking time bombs. Adobe should allow people to make monthly payments (listed as $1 a day) to keep their installs after they expire. $$$$

18. macrumors 6502a

I understand where you are coming from but there are free 30 day trials and reduced "student" pricing available.

19. macrumors 6502

looks nice

20. macrumors 68000

wikus

I did some comparisons between CS5 and CS6. From cold a cold boot and opening Photoshop with blank canvas, CS6 seemed to use about 10-20mb less of RAM compared to CS5.

What I really liked was that finally using the polygonal lasso tool didnt close the selection when youre zoomed in on the canvas and holding the spacebar to pan around to continue adding to the selection.

If this is the Beta, I'm looking forward to the final release.

21. macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Most impressive :cool:

22. macrumors 68030

baryon

It's seriously the best release of Photoshop ever, it's absolutely amazing! They finally went back and made it more efficient, faster and less buggy. The interface is beautiful and the features are great. Also, everything can be changed by the user, which is awesome too.

PS: Does anyone know how long this beta trial stays functional? It doesn't make any mention of the time limit!

23. macrumors regular

Nice speed improvements but was looking forward to playing with the content aware move feature. Tried it on a number of images and it did a really poor job.

24. macrumors 68000

I'm still using Photoshop CS5, but have tried CS6 and I love the new interface, It looks awesome =)..

25. macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

Looks good - I just hope neglected Illustrator gets some love ie. 64bit for memory addressing.