Adobe photoshop speed boost, seems kinda lame

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mcarnes, May 13, 2005.

1. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Saw this on Adobe's site. It's a way to increase photoshop performance on machines with more than 1 GB of RAM.

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331372.html

My gripe is that I can't remember the last time I ran Photoshop CS on less than a gig of RAM. Sheesh, you'd think they would have made this performance boost standard, or at least mention it during the install. This is a little known tidbit hidden away on adobe's website that very few people will see or implement. Seems like kind of a waste that people with more than 1 GB of RAM will never know about this and will never get the performance boost.

2. benwa02 macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting that. I just did it and its extremely quick just a file name change. I wonder how much performance you gain. Although I will never notice the difference because I just got CS2 and have yet to use it yet since I have been working in Flash lately but Ill take any performance gains I can.

Here is some info it posts on how it works:

About the Image Tile Size in Photoshop CS2

When Photoshop CS2 processes image data, it divides the image into sections called tiles. Each tile uses 68 KB of RAM.

You can activate the Bigger Tiles plug-in to increase the tile size to 132 KB. Activating the plug-in will reduce the overall amount of time Photoshop takes to process an image, especially on computers with more than 1 GB of RAM.

After you activate the Bigger Tiles plug-in, Photoshop will take longer to draw each tile and it may appear to draw images on screen slower, especially for large images or when applying some filters. However, the total time Photoshop needs to display the entire image will be less because it is drawing fewer tiles.

3. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

is this speed boost just for CS2 or Elements 3.0 as well?

4. benwa02 macrumors 6502

I didnt see anything mentioning Elements 3.0.

5. efoto macrumors 68030

Is the update for PSCS as well? or just CS2?

6. benwa02 macrumors 6502

I dont think it mentions PSCS just CS2 it says. But it wouldnt hurt to try. Just see if you can find that file and change it and if it doesnt you can just change the filename back.

7. efoto macrumors 68030

Once you change the file, is there something you can look for to see if the change makes a difference? or are you just stuck trying to 'notice' speed improvements, because unless they are major I usually have trouble seeing them :eek:

8. Mac-Xpert macrumors 6502

It's CS2 only

As far as I can tell it's Photoshop CS2 only. I still have CS and it doesn't have the mentioned plug-in.

9. benwa02 macrumors 6502

I dont think there is anything you can visually look at to see the difference. Your just stuck trying to notice the improvements. Im sure that its nothing major but just a lil bump.