adobe photoshop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by matt459, Jun 15, 2004.

1. matt459 macrumors member

I suppose this is a dumb queastion to ask, but its worth a shot. I just purchased photoshop 7.0 a few months ago and its on my windows pc. I was hoping i could transfer it to my ibook that i just upgraded to. Im hoping i dont have to dish out another 600, but is that what i have to do? also, whats a pretty good image program for mac. price range around p-s elements, up t0 80 dollars? thanks

2. RiseAgainst macrumors regular

If you plan on keeping your PC version then you will definatly have to buy another copy.

If not, you might be able to contact Adobe and they might be able to give you a Mac version if you destroy your PC serial and pay for shipping. This might be only if you are upgrading to a new version of an Adobe product though. Anyway, its worth a shot.

3. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Good luck with that option because I don't see it happening whatsoever...

4. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

iphoto is nice for simple jobs. But I would reg photoshop for the mac instead.

5. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I would try this as well. I read somewhere on the Macrumors Forums not too long ago about somebody being able to do this.

Good Luck.

6. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Photoshop Elements is available for OS X; I would imagine that the price would be the same as for Windows.

Also, if you're a student, you could get educational pricing for Photoshop, if you really need it (which, IMHO, very few people actually do -- most non-professionals can find everything they need in PS Elements or PhotoStudio, or even the GIMP!).

Good luck, and welcome to Macs!

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Quick question. Cleo, do all of the GIMP implementations install somewhere in /opt/bin land or are there any that actually exist as a single application package or a file folder within Applications? I saw gimp.app but I wasn't 100% sure which way it was.

But 2nd to saying (having used it on PC) GIMP ain't nuthing ta ... oh, sorry, the GIMP is a very solid program, which should not be understimated. :)

8. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I installed GIMP before the .app was compiled/available, so I can't say for sure, but it's my understanding that as log as you have x11 installed, it looks and behaves just like a 'normal' app. If you try it out, let us know!

9. Xenious macrumors 6502a

One of them was me. I successfully cross platform upgraded Adobe Acrobat Pro 6 from the PC version to the Mac version. I had to fax in a letter of distruction saying that I had destroyed the pc version and it wasn't in use. I also had to pay 5.95$ shipping. Adobe sent me the full Mac version within a few weeks. Very nice customer service.

You will need to do this over the phone (call adobe customer service) and have 1) registered your serial number online with Adobe or 2) provide them with a faxed copy of your sales recipt.
    -jim

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ummm...I guess download the disk image and seeing what's in it isn't so bad. :( Thanks though. Will definitely post back and let you know if its straightforward.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yep, GIMP.app does load the whole GIMP as a single (package) file in the applications folder. When you run it, it still runs under X11, though (still opens X11 and either appears in the X11 root or on top of MacOS, depending on whether X11 root is enabled), meaning that some interfacing with other MacOS apps is impaired. :( But still very nice. :)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic. ;)