Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxwellBeckett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Hello all,
I have a question concerning the various editing software available.
I work for a company that creates memorial products (for funerals and such). One of the things we've been doing more and more of lately are memorial DVDs. Basically using a bunch of still photos from the person's life, edited together with music and titles for the photos. Until now I had been using an old version of adobe premier borrowed from the person who use to do this for my employer. Now it looks like we are going to be doing lot more of these, and want to set up a decent workstation to do it on (instead of using my aging comp at home). Considering the limited scope of these DVDs, I am uncertain we really need to invest in something like Adobe Premier or Final Cut Pro. I was wondering if Final Cut Express might do the job. I need to be able to zoom in and out of the photos, pan across them and move them around. I don't want to just transition from one static pic to the next, which is what iMovie seemed to be limited to.

I now there is also a light version of Adobe premier (elements) now available, but given the choice I would rather set-up a mac work station and use Express.

Sorry for the lengthy post, any and all input will be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Max

Rasheem

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2006
Final cut express should work great for that. Also imovie should be able to do some of that stuff with the "ken burns effect".

trudd

macrumors regular
May 27, 2004
Texas
I've done a few wedding slideshows on the side. At the time, all I had available was iMovie, but I still produced a great product using the Ken Burns effect.

Final cut pro (or express) will give you many more options. But if all you're looking to do is to add simple movement to the pictures, iMovie is fine.

Just play with the Ken Burns effect and see if that floats your boat.

elvirav

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2006
California, off and on.
Final Cut Express would be great. There are places where you can find an old version of FCE, and then use that as an upgrade path to the current version. Save a lot of money. Or, you could even use an old version of FCE (if you don't have an Intel-based Mac) since it doesn't sound like you're doing anything too complicated. I was able to make little projects in FCE 1 that required (from the sound of it) more special effects than you will be planning on doing.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Truth be told, people who are in the market for these things, like wedding/funeral/anniversary DVDs. have no idea what digital video even is.

If time or money is a factor, iMovie/iDVD can create the perfect solution for any commercial venture.

While obviously NOT my choice, if $ is $, i could care less. People who purchase these things, dont know jack about computers and dvds and videos.

What I mean to say is, those who dont know iMovie/iDVD, think that the templates contained within, are the "bee-knees". People are always highly impressed with iMovie and iDVD projects.

Eventhough YOU and I know it took you absolutely NO skills or time that could amount to an asking price of hundreds of dollars. Which is what these things go for.

In the end by all means take every shortcut to get you there as quickly and efficiently as possible. While you might think its cheesy, your customers will think you are a GOD!

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Truth be told, people who are in the market for these things, like wedding/funeral/anniversary DVDs. have no idea what digital video even is.

If time or money is a factor, iMovie/iDVD can create the perfect solution for any commercial venture.

While obviously NOT my choice, if $ is $, i could care less. People who purchase these things, dont know jack about computers and dvds and videos.

What I mean to say is, those who dont know iMovie/iDVD, think that the templates contained within, are the "bee-knees". People are always highly impressed with iMovie and iDVD projects.

Eventhough YOU and I know it took you absolutely NO skills or time that could amount to an asking price of hundreds of dollars. Which is what these things go for.

In the end by all means take every shortcut to get you there as quickly and efficiently as possible. While you might think its cheesy, your customers will think you are a GOD!

This is very true!!! And it really does happen. I cant tell you how many oo's and ahh's you get from just using something as simple as iMovie. Crazy graphics and logos and everything may look cool but in "real world use" sometimes just a simple transition and cuts are what really make your video. Its the story not the graphics. (key burns effect is a good "graphic" thing ;))

iMovie + key burns effect should be fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.