adobe problems in panther

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by nic, Feb 24, 2004.

1. nic macrumors newbie

Aside from many other problems i now have on my mac since installing panther, i am now unable to use adobe reader. i have tried downloading a new version and that doesn't work. It just comes up with a 'Resource Mismatch' each time i try and open a pdf. Any ideas? (please?! getting desperate now!)

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Try repairing permissions (in Disk Utility), as this may be the cause of a number of your problems. Also try deleting preferences and related files.
    Go to your home folder, then Library. Delete the 'Acrobat User Data' folder. In the Application Support folder, delete 'Adobe' (I'm not sure if this is Adobe Reader or not, it might be Photoshop things). In the Preferences folder delete com.adobe.Reader6.0.plist. There might also be a few other files here beginning with either Adobe or Acrobat.

By the way, why are you using Adobe Reader? It certainly had advantages over Preview in Jaguar, but the Panther version of Preview is, IMO, much better (faster, simpler interface etc) than Adobe Reader.

3. nic thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!
    I still have no joy with the reader having deleted all those files. BUT preview works fine. Being a relatively novice mac user i have no real idea about what's in there.

As i've got your attention now ;) do you have any idea why after having installed panther i have now lost all ability for my mac to see other networked computers? Before, i used to be able to connect to them easily through finder, but now it doesn't seem to even be able to see them.

cheers

4. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

Did you do an upgrade, or a clean install? I did the upgrade first... and I got a ton of OS grief. Clean install fixed all my woes. Happy panther over here.

5. nic thread starter macrumors newbie

does that mean i'll have to save all my files onto disc before doing a clean install?
    I guess there'll be instructions somewhere hey?

6. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

You don't necessary have to reinstall, but if you do another option is to archive and install. What this does is moves your previous system files and then reinstalls the system, and you don't lose any data (yes, a clean install aka 'Erase and Install' erases your hard disk). What you should be aware of, though, is when you do that, your user's information is kept, so you may want to create a new user at the same time to prevent problems form user preferences etc. Repairing permissions before and after installation is also a good idea for things like this.

As for the networking problem, this is one of the most commonly disliked features of Panther. You are looking in 'Network' (in a Finder window, it is on the left bar)?

7. nic thread starter macrumors newbie

That's annoying. We upgraded as we'd heard it was meant to be good with networking stuff!

Yes it's on the left hand side of the bar in a finder window. It's also when you press apple K (to connect), then you enter your password and then it comes up with the dialogue box saying the place i want to connect to can't be opened because the original item can't be found. It's as if the icons that come up when you click on the network button in the finder menu are ghosts of the old ones pre-panther!
    cheers!

8. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Whatever you do, remove all your customisations/hacks prior to any system updates or upgrades. These things almost always cause people to not be able to do/see something and they end up blaming Apple for someone else's problems. ;)

As far as Adobe Acrobat Reader goes, I take it that you deleted/moved the Acrobat User Data folder away from your user area/Library folder and that you deleted/moved all related preferences?