Adobe Products

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AtHomeBoy_2000, Mar 14, 2005.

1. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2005
    I was looking at some of the Adobe video and audio products online. I am a radio broadcasting major, but I have a minor in video editing and I would like to go into Wedding Videoography sometime down the line.
    I was SHOCKED to see that of all their video and audio software (Premiere® Pro 1.5, After Effects 6.5, Audition 1.5, and Encorr DVD 1.5), only After Effects was available on Mac. Do you guys have any idea why that is? I have always heard how Macs are these great workhorse computers that are great for video and sound, yet Adobe doesnt put out a product for Mac? Why is that?
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Because Apple muscled in with their own offerings.
  3. AtHomeBoy_2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2005
    I know that Apple has Final Cut and ProTools, but how does that stop Adobe from releasing products for Mac? you would think they might want to try and take on Apple.
  4. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2004
    South Jersey
    Didn't Final Cut come about as a result of Adobe not wanting to continue to develop software for Mac anymore?
  5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Adobe used to sell Premiere for Mac, but I think 6.5 was the last version available for Mac. As others have said, it's because Final Cut Pro pushed them out of the marketplace because of it's (according to most people) superiority. That said, Adobe does sell a LOT of Mac software. Last I checked, Mac software sales made up something like 30% of their total sales.
  6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    That's half right. Adobe let Premiere languish for quite a long time prior to Apple releasing Final Cut Pro to muscle in on Premiere's business. Apple also asked Adobe to create a low cost photo manager and editor and when Adobe showed no interest, Apple did it on their own.
  7. Graeme macrumors newbie

Mar 8, 2005
    Delta, BC
    Pretty much what the other guys said. Adobe had been selling Premiere and such for Apple's as well, but Final Cut Pro was becoming popular and Adobe realized they were going to have to much trouble trying to compete with it so they cut Premiere for Apple's and decided to focus on PC's. However since Apple doesn't make anything much like After Effects they continue to release After Effects for Apples.
  8. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    I thought Motion was the equivalent to After Effects?