Adobe Reader 8.0 released

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dreamsINdigital, Dec 5, 2006.

1. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Thanks for the heads up. I still won't use it 'til it becomes less bloated, has a better GUI and is faster than Preview. :eek:

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

It's not really a Universal Binary, there are separate PPC and Intel versions. Anyway, I downloaded the Intel version for my iMac, and I must say, it's just about as fast as Preview. Launches in a single bounce, and loads PDFs almost immediately. The interface is pretty nice too.

You might want to try it out. In my opinion it is less bloated, has a better GUI and is at least as fast as Preview if not slightly faster to launch.

(Note that I'm not saying that it's less bloated or has a better GUI than Preview, I just mean compared to previous versions of Reader.)

Attached Files:

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Surprisingly it's FAST and the interface is clean.

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Yes it is. Definitely faster and feels less bloated than previous versions. Gives me hope for CS3

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

It's still a heck of a lot slower than Preview on my (aging) G4 Powerbook.

6. cmcconkey macrumors 6502

Annoying. I can't get to the download on neither FireFox nor IE7. Really annoying.

Christopher

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. krazo macrumors newbie

9. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

10. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Reader has a lot of PDF functionality that Preview doesn't support. If you're only concern is reading and printing PDFs, then it doesn't really make much of a difference. If, however, you need to do something like load an auto-filled PDF form, you're out of luck with Preview.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There was already an internet plug-in but it doesn't work the way the Mac OS 9-compatible plug-in worked. It merely re-directs you to the application. It would be nice if Adobe's plug-in for version 8 did things better, but there is a third party plug-in to do that and it's free for personal use. The Adobe Reader plug-in has been updated for version 8 but I can't confirm that it works differently.

They recently added the ability to view 3D documents and more. I don't particularly find Preview all that great in viewing any .pdf document but it works.

Attached Files:

12. dreamsINdigital thread starter macrumors 6502

What plugin would that be?

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sorry but if I remembered the name, I would have mentioned it. ;) You'll have to do a search on VersionTracker or MacUpdate to find it.

14. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

This is a lot better. Nicer interface and quicker that Preview. The one drag I had was it took ages to Print so hopefully this is alot faster now as well. Good one Adobe. I really hope this is a sign of things to come with Photoshop, InDesign etc.. next year.

15. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I still use 6 because I don't like 7, is eight actually an improvement or another step in the wrong direction?

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Since I'm sure that no one else knows what you mean, you'll have to judge it for yourself.

I find that version 8 is a nice improvement over 7.

17. krazo macrumors newbie

Hrm Firefox doesn't seem to load it...

18. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

preview works fine for me. but is there a reason to get this? i feel like i should dl it just to have, even though i'll probly never use it

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've not found any browser to use it properly. It would be sadly funny to find that it's just a Carbon version of the Mac OS 9-compatible Netscape plug-in.

20. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

The version 8 plug-in seems to be working fine with Safari on my system. Previous versions of the reader plug-in seemed crash-prone at times, but so far so good with this one. And the browser plug-in might be one justification to get Reader even if Preview handles your pdf needs just fine most of the time. The Reader plug-in has somewhat better functionality than Safari's bare-bones default plug-in for pdf.

I haven't had much of a chance to fully test it, but version 8 seems like a major improvement over previous versions. Launch time is significantly faster (finally), and the interface is much cleaner. The one area I noticed where it still doesn't shine is rendering. It's better, but Preview is still far and away the champ in that category.

21. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

really nice upgrade. works great in safari too!

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Well, it's about time.

I must admit though, it is a very big improvement over 7. In fact, I think it may be better than preview. Once you get past the installer (which sucks), it's a great program.

Mad Jew, I think this may be exactly what you're looking for.

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The installation process needed a few more layers and distractions, didn't it? I believe that only Macromedia with Studio can make an installation process more complex and confusing.