Adobe Reader hijacks Safari and won't uninstall?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by miked_in_canada, Oct 3, 2006.

1. miked_in_canada macrumors member

May 20, 2005
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone can help me get rid of Adobe Reader.

My girlfriend installed it on the machine in the mistaken belief that she had to use it in order to view PDFs in FireFox.

I'm a Safari user for its RSS capabilities and Adobe Reader is super annoying because it takes forever to fire up a PDF in-browser.

But the real pisser is that it freezes all the time. I can't even get into preferences without this ridiculous app crashing. I've tried deleting the plug-ins from the library, I've tried just dumping the app only to have Safari ask where Adobe Reader went when I click on a PDF.

Can anyone help me lick this problem? I can't find any decent suport on teh Adobe site.

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    Have you tried resetting Safari? With Adobe Reader dumped in the Trash, of course.
  3. ClaphamChris macrumors regular

May 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Had the same problem. Maddening, innit? But easy enough to sort.

Go to Preferences in Adobe Reader, then Internet and uncheck the 'Display PDF in browser using' checkbox.

Reboot Safari and never wait a lifetime for the darned bloatware to load in Safari again....

4. devman macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    try looking in /Library/Internet Plugins and remove the Adobe PDF viewer plugin.