Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Many times baby pandas exist in both H264 form as well as flash form...

Just sayin.

I haven't used flash in a few years. I used to use Chrome for my Flash needs; but I have also removed that from my tool suite. Now I just enabled the Developer menu in Safari and if Youtube doesn't load the video; I switch the User Agent to "iOS Safari 6.1 -- iPad" and it always works.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Each time Flash has a critical exploit, I uninstall it, then see how long I can go without it.

Unfortunately there always seems to be something I need it for, then I reluctantly reinstall the latest version. However, the window of time between uninstalls and reinstalls is getting longer every time this happens. Right now it's completely uninstalled.

I look forward to the day when I can uninstall it for good.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
People use their PCs and MACs for many different tasks: entertainment, communication, work...and updating Adobe Flash.

Seriously. Redo the damn program from the ground up and make it more secure while reducing CPU usage, thats all we want.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Flash is a pain these days, the sooner it dies completely the better. Security problems, 100% CPU for no apparent reason, being badgered to update the thing frequently. These days I just rely on chrome for anything that has to have it and have uninstalled the messed up Adobe plugin.

----------

Whats wrong with some of you. It's only an update get a life or do you live in a perfect world:rolleyes:

There is far more wrong with the thing than getting updates all the time. It needs a total rewrite and Adobe don't seem willing to sort it out properly. Plus you never quite know if the updated version is going to work properly or if video is going to start playing in funky colours or something like that.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Should do a poll. How many like me, use Flash fewer times per year than there are Flash updates?

Most people that consume media and watch videos will of course use it daily.

Flash isn't going anywhere. And I'd rather they patch it they leave the software vulnerable. It auto-updates anyway, so what's the problem?

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I don't use it as my primary browser, but isn't Flash 'baked in' to Chrome? That is to say, any updates to Flash are automatically applied as soon as they're released?

That's the part that's never been made clear to me.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It would be wiser to uninstall Flash than to upgrade.

During the last emergency patch, two weeks ago, this is exactly what I did. I have only run into a couple of situations where flash was required. I am happy to be flash free.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Just removed flash from my system. If I can't watch something without it, oh well.

Usually, if a site limits you without flash, visit them on an ipad. Anyone with half a brain made their site work on iPad, and often I can see videos or whatever that I need flash for on a computer.

Not upgrading flash is like using adblock for me, just "blocked plugin" everywhere.

----------

no not youtube any more but 90% of other video streaming still uses it

Not on iOS. i'd say 80% of video on the internet works on ipad, at least for me.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Many times baby pandas exist in both H264 form as well as flash form...

Just sayin.

True, except for the Atlanta Zoo twin panda cub live-cam. I like to keep a tab open all the time on those 2 little hellions. They play pirates on the climbing structures. :)

CylonGlitch had a good suggestion about using the Developer menu and switching the User Agent to iOS Safari iPad, so I shall give that a try.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
I was waiting for someone with Internet muscles to post something like this lol. It's a little more than an update one would think, patching security holes almost on a weekly basis?

Hardly. This is only the second update (44 and 70) all year. 38 was released in mid-December 2013. By my estimation you're about 5 updates short in your hyperbole theory. Worse for the people claiming 'biweekly' (the correct definition of which is "twice a week"). The only reason you should have had to update more than twice is you're on the beta channel, and if you are, then you knew what you were getting yourself in for.

I manage over a thousand Macs. I have auto-update turned on on all of them, and I haven't had to lift a finger. My audit system says that they've been doing their thing, quietly updating in the background, without hysteria or wailing dramatics.

Adobe has screwed up a lot of things. They spent years producing products that were completely undeployable. They've screwed people over by discontinuing applications out from under them, and in their switch to the subscription model. But patching stuff quickly when it needs to be - in the world's most commonly and heavily-used plug-in - is not one of them.

EDIT: BTW, and for the record, Chrome has also been updated twice in the same time period, as has Firefox; both containing security content. Dropbox has been updated ten times since mid-Dec; they do produce biweekly updates, sometimes only a couple of days apart.

Last edited:

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
What I find weird is why under the System Preferences pane, it states I have version 12,0,0,70 installed, but when I went to check the version, via URL, it states I have 12,0,0,44 installed? Anyone else having this issue? I had to manually install it myself, instead of clicking on "Check Now" for an update.

Yes. It works fine :confused:

----------

Also, sites sometimes say that my Flash is outdated right after I update it and restart my browser.

This used to happen to me constantly in Mountain Lion & Mavericks until I went into Safari Preferences/Security and checked the box for "internet plug-ins/ Allow, and then clicked on Manage Website Settings, and tweaked the Adobe Flash plug-in from there.

After that those annoying pop-ups about having an older version of Flash stopped (even though I'd already downloaded & installed all the most current through System Preferences before the annoying pop-ups). I don't know if it's a bug between System Prefs and Safari Prefs for Flash or what, but super irritating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.