Adobe Releases 'Critical' Update for Flash After Security Vulnerability Discovered

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 4, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Adobe has released a "critical update" for its Adobe Flash Player software on both Mac and Windows, addressing a zero-day vulnerability that gives complete control over compromised systems to hackers.

The vulnerability affects all Macs with Adobe Flash Player version 12.0.0.43 and earlier and all users are urged to update immediately. Adobe has a site where users can check what version of Flash they have installed. The latest version of Flash can be downloaded from Adobe's website.
    Adobe thanked Alexander Polyakov and Anton Ivanov of Kaspersky Labs for discovering the vulnerability, but the company did not specify precisely how it works.

Article Link: Adobe Releases 'Critical' Update for Flash After Security Vulnerability Discovered

2. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

And people still want to try and give Apple crap for trying to rid us of this hot mess of a format.

3. macrumors newbie

Seriously Adobe, I haven't seen flash evolving lately, besides for security updates...

4. macrumors 6502a

Why do sites continue to use Flash? And why do people wonder why Apple has such problems with Flash (and Adobe)?

I've completely removed it and only run Chrome when I need it.

5. macrumors 6502a

chainprayer

What is Flash?

..... :p

6. macrumors 603

blueroom

Saviour of the universe. Oh and also some Adobe crap.

7. macrumors 68000

keysofanxiety

Flash has its uses, people. Can't believe some of the comments here.

Whenever I need to torture test a computer, I run a Flash video. Certainly easier than running Intel Burn/Prime95. ;)

8. macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Can't wait until Flash is not needed at all anymore on any device.
    Oh and Silverlight too while we're at it (I'm looking at you Netflix).

9. macrumors 6502

10. macrumors 6502a

Why does Adobe insist on naming the file install_flash_player_osx.dmg?

Why can't they append the version number to it?

11. macrumors G5

In other news - a company is responding to an issue with their software to plug a security vulnerability. But yet, some MacRumors posters find a reason to make this a bad thing.

12. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

That's because when they update their software its almost always for a security vulnerability. And generally its a fairly massive one.

13. Guest

Same thing kept happening to me, turned off ad block and ghostery and it worked fine. Have you any of these installed?

14. macrumors G5

I see no reason to bash them for being responsive. There are plenty of companies that leave known security leaks for months on end...

15. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I applaud them for being responsive. The people at Adobe are fine and they produce some good products.

Flash is just not one of them. It's a buggy resource hog that is the security weak link for most computers.

16. macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I hate Flash for the same reason I hate Java - at least in Windows. Endless updates that do not change the user experience but just take up bandwidth and time, and stupid flashing notifications.
    Oh, and Adobe Reader - so now I have to give it permission to open a PDF every time, as there is a security hole and I am supposed to take responsibility for it?!

17. macrumors 68020

Steve predicted this.

18. macrumors P6

Same goes for Windows in a sense too--the mere popularity of those things gets people to focus on exploiting them and find anything and everything they can to do so. The fact that they are fixing issues often is a positive thing, and and to be annoyed for having to install updates or something like that, well, that's certainly way less important and less meaningful than actually not addressing the issues.

19. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

Because they didn't just try, they shut it out of their platform long before the alternative was ready. Of course, there are still some things that there isn't anything better than flash for, but we should ignore that.

----------

He predicted that Adobe would continue to try to make their software better? Woe is them, they're doing the responsible thing. They should just plug their ears and pretend that vulnerabilities don't exist. That's the right thing to do, right?

20. macrumors 65816

Mike MA

It's a shame that I still have to install it as many websites still ask for it :mad:

Now shutting down Safari to update.

EDIT: I even had to close the system preferences for the update...this is getting ridiculous :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 68000

It seems like there is a dancing update notice in the dock every week and the installation process is sort of odd and often difficult in itself. However, various videos play and there are animations that seem to work right and so what is the alternative?

22. macrumors 6502a

Who are these people?

23. macrumors 6502

Yup and thanks - turnings these off helped :)

24. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

I don't know. A majority of people I know just argue that they started too soon.

25. macrumors newbie

Silverlight down, Flash to go

Good news, login to Netflix, Account -> Playback Settings, you'll notice a new option "Prefer HTML5 Player instead of Silverlight" :D