Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of its round of November Creative Cloud updates, Adobe announced plans to rebrand its Flash Professional CC software as Animate CC to acknowledge a growing shift away from Flash.

In a blog post on its website, Adobe explains that more than a third of content created in Flash Pro CC uses HTML5, leading the company to rename the software to "accurately represent its position as the premier animation tool for the web and beyond."

Along with changing the name of Flash Professional CC, Adobe is working on major feature updates for the software, including improved drawing, illustration, and authoring support and integration with Adobe Stock and Creative Cloud Libraries.

While Adobe is rebranding to better focus on HTML5, it says the new Animate CC will continue to support Flash (SWF) and Air formats as "first-class citizens," with work already underway on Flash Player 12.

The new Adobe Animate CC app will be available starting in January. Previous versions of Flash Professional will continue to be available.

Flash has been on its way out for several years now. Apple's refusal to support flash on its iOS devices was a major blow to Adobe and declining use led Adobe to eliminate its Flash player for mobile devices in 2011. Major websites have largely transitioned from Flash due to never ending security vulnerabilities, with Amazon no longer accepting Flash ads and Facebook's lead security engineer calling for the death of Flash.

Article Link: Adobe Renaming 'Flash Professional' to 'Animate', Shifts Focus to HTML5

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Here comes the vitriol, (from people it doesn’t even affect as they don’t use it)……...

I'm quite certain that there are few people who aren't affected by Flash every day. From the nearly weekly security updates, to the jet engine sounds that processors make when it's running on a website, to the content error messages that they receive when they finally get fed up and uninstall the POS from their computers.

It can't go away soon enough.

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
so will they get rid of edge animate or will both stick around for product confusion?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Steve Jobs Won.

Steve Jobs FTW

Steve Jobs 1 - 0 Adobe.
More like the score this year. The "Flash sucks" drama was one of several arguments between Apple and Adobe. One that I was down the hall from was when Adobe started to use custom controls on Photoshop releases to the PC and Mac versions looks nearly identical. While Microsoft didn't care, a few at Apple were bitching about "disturbing the overall experience between apps" on a Mac desktop.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Good to see flash go.

Flash was always a buggy mess. Problem is, what many people seem to fail to remember was that it started the whole interactive 'imagery' online idea that got us out of the "web 1.0" days of static vertical walls of text.

Flash was around doing the things it was doing long before HTML5 became a standard. It pioneered the modern web. Was it big, bloated, buggy? Yes. But it for a long while was all that was available.

however, its time is long over.

cwt1nospam

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
I wish Macrumors were a "major website" that had transitioned from Flash. You'd think they'd only just heard of HTML5.

Reactions: MrFootery

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
More like the score this year. The "Flash sucks" drama was one of several arguments between Apple and Adobe. One that I was down the hall from was when Adobe started to use custom controls on Photoshop releases to the PC and Mac versions looks nearly identical. While Microsoft didn't care, a few at Apple were bitching about "disturbing the overall experience between apps" on a Mac desktop.

not following mac os gui guidelines are a pet peeve of mine. adobe's html5 extension panels are one of them. for example, drop down menus get cut off by the panel windows on mac, this wouldn't happen with native drop down menu.

autodesk's UIs were very hard to read for a few years and so is zbrush. cross platform UIs don't take into account gamma settings for some reason.

Reactions: cmichaelb

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
I'm quite certain that there are few people who aren't affected by Flash every day. From the nearly weekly security updates, to the jet engine sounds that processors make when it's running on a website, to the content error messages that they receive when they finally get fed up and uninstall the POS from their computers.

It can't go away soon enough.

Indeed. But not having it might not be as problematic as you fear. A couple of months ago, after what seemed like the third update in a week, I got mad and impulsively uninstalled it instead. I've only noticed the difference a couple of times since, and one of those times I realized I'd forgotten that I'd uninstalled it.

It's certainly worth trying to live without it, as it's trivial to reinstall.

Reactions: rdlink

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Adobe in damage control ....
Flash is basically associated with malware, so a smart move to rebrand it. And a smarter move is to jump ship to HTML5.

I'd like to see people bashing Apple a couple years ago about abandoning Flash in favor of HTML5 to apologize now ... but I'm sure they won't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.