Adobe Soundbooth Released as Public Beta for Intel-Based Macintosh

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mystereo, Oct 26, 2006.

1. mystereo macrumors member

May 31, 2006
    Adobe Soundbooth Released as Public Beta for Intel-Based Macintosh
  2. emotion macrumors 68040

Mar 29, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Interesting. Can't work out if this is an audio editor, like a replacement for Audition (which was PC only) or something.
  3. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Yes, it's an audio editor. Based on what Adobe's saying, it's meant more for people who are not primarily audio editors, but rather often need to do audio editing as part of a large job (most likely video stuff). They are going to continue to sell Adobe Audition as a standalone app, but Soundbooth will replace it in their Production Studio package. I've downloaded the preview and it looks very promising, but I'm a little surprised that they've already released it, because at this point it's hardly done at all. There are VERY few features in it, though it's clear from the way the interface looks that many more are planned. All in all I'm excited to see it, as I've wanted Audition for the Mac for a long time, and I'm also encouraged by the fact that Adobe is still supporting the Mac for new products.

As for the whole Intel-only thing, I find that a bit strange, and I think that Adobe must be doing stuff that is processor specific (using assembly or something) because they're saying that it would have doubled the development effort to support PowerPC, and that if they had decided to do that, they wouldn't have a preview out right now. It sounds like it was either Intel-Mac only or Windows-only because of the effort required to support PowerPC.

I hope this doesn't turn into a trend, but honestly I'm not terribly worried, because it'll be a while before there are a lot of apps that got their start after the Intel-switch, and further, if you're using XCode, it really is easy to compile apps as Universal, especially if you're planning on that from the start of development.