Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
UK
I don't remember this being posted before (and I have searched the forums!).
I discovered it when I started up Photoshop CS2 for the first time after installing on a Mini at work - it appeared instead of the usual splash screen. (The installation didn't work and I subsequently had to re-install everything - a long and boring story).
Apparently its a known Easter Egg. Is it just irrelevant nonsense or does it have any significance?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 428

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
stevep said:
I don't remember this being posted before (and I have searched the forums!).
I discovered it when I started up Photoshop CS2 for the first time after installing on a Mini at work - it appeared instead of the usual splash screen. (The installation didn't work and I subsequently had to re-install everything - a long and boring story).
Apparently its a known Easter Egg. Is it just irrelevant nonsense or does it have any significance?

LOL it's just good fun. Let's give it some justice though, that screenshot is far too small.

adobe+space+monkey.png

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
How do you reproduce it? Or do you have to have a mini to get it to work?

That is damn funny...

D

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
Mr. Anderson said:
How do you reproduce it? Or do you have to have a mini to get it to work?

That is damn funny...

D
"Space Monkey" was the codename used for Photoshop CS2 while Adobe was working on it. This is an easter egg inside the program, and I am not 100% sure how to reproduce it, but I think that you...

1. Open up Adobe Photoshop
2. Hold down the 'Ctrl' key ('Apple/Command' for a Mac I believe)
3. Click Help
4. Select 'About Photoshop...'

And there are more, for almost every version of Photoshop ever made!! http://www.guidebookgallery.org/apps/photoshop/aboutboxeasteregg

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Well on PS 7 if you hold down Apple/Command while selecting "About Photoshop", you get this, so I guess it's the same deal on CS2.

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 127

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I've seen that before too....

Isn't that the splash screen for pirated copies or double-installs? I somehow feel like it was kind of an in-your-face to people attempting to install Photoshop against the EULA.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
It seems on lmage Ready and Photoshop do this - the other Adobe apps don't - or at least not that I've found...

D

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
I think that those splash screens are used while PS is still in Beta version or prerelease. It separates them from the final once. The pirated copies that some poster was talking about most probably were the beta versions of Photoshop.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
These Easter Eggs are in the final/legal versions. My copy of CS2 is fully legal, and I've seen the Space Monkey splash before (by holding down command and going to About Photoshop).

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
UK
My version is fully legal - a 'concurrent' licence, which allows us to install one copy on two machines provided we don't use both at the same time. The space monkey first appeared just after I had transferred the contents of my user directory from my laptop to the Mini - I just tried to open P/shop and I got as far as this splash-screen and no further. None of the other CS2 apps would open either. Hence the re-install I mentioned. A quick Google indicated it was an easter egg.
I suppose that in transferring my user files to the Mini might well have confused the CS2 installation and have caused it to display this splash screen but, 'onest guv, we did pay for the licenses!

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Huh, thats neat... the "big electric cat" appears in every easter egg about box, anyone else notice that?

EDIT: Duh, way to go me for not reading the text, it says it right there:

"Big Electric Cat was the codename of Photoshop 4.0. This hidden splash is also the first appearance of Udo, Photoshop’s unofficial mascot cat. Her nickname is Becky (shorthand for Big Electric Cat), and she’s present in the easter egg about boxes for all the following versions."

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Nice catch.

I tried it with After Effects and I discovered an easter egg gem as well. :D

Attachments... standard About screen, followed with the easter egg screen (which creates a new project!).

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Attachments

• ae65.jpg
    ae65.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 88
  • ae65b.gif
    ae65b.gif
    87.9 KB · Views: 102

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
simon-says said:
You guys would like the easter eggs of some of the products in the Macromedia line, they have games for their easter eggs.

All of the easter eggs I have been able to find for Macromedia Studio 8 apps only work in the Windows version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.