Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Ooops!!! :eek:
Adobe is apparently committing suicide with Flash.

Apple had a good reason for refusing it; Google (Android) accepted it, and now is being taken away.

I can see phones catching fire while playing Flash content.

In some sense, Adobe is admitting their failure with Flash for the mobile environment. On the desktop environment, Flash is being avoided as much as possible by many, by using plugins or proxies to filter it.

Flash was great until it's use got abused.

Next in line: Javascript.

efrank772

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
About time!!

About time Flash gets off of Android!!!! Us iPhone users have been stuck without flash since the beginning of time!!! I hope this pushes website makers to update their websites so they don't require flash!!!!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Does this mean we no longer have to hear: "No flash? Yeah, that's a deal-breaker right there." from the anti-iOS folks?

Oh well, at least they'll still have: "No removable battery? Yeah, that's a deal-breaker right there."

Heck, even google is dropping flash support for their nexus tablet.

I find it ironic because one of the main selling points of android was exactly that it supported flash. :p

Steve was right, had always been right, and had the balls to go through with his convictions by not having his IOS devices support flash. While people were complaining of not being able to watch flash stuff, he was busy paving the way to a better web future. It took some time, but I think we are all ultimately better off for it. :)

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
Too bad Steve Jobs didn't not live long enough to get confirmation from Adobe that he was right about Flash - he got so much heat for it and now Adobe basically admits that he was right.

R.I.P. Steve

I know people like simplistic points of view but Flash was less likely to have a long term future as long as iOS refused to support it. That says more about the market share of iOS than it does about the quality of Flash. Anyway the world has a way of changing over time. In the 5 years since the iPhone launched HTML5 has changed a lot. The Cirque du Soleil demo at Google IO was pretty amazing.

tomhut

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
London
It was inevitable I think, but a shame. Flash can do stuff like no other tech can. HTML5 is not even close.

The nest.com site is a recent example of how beautiful Flash can be (scroll down a bit and turn down the Thermostat on Day 2). Not on an iOS device though... whoops. I wonder if the nest designer (ex designer of the iPod/iPhone) will like that? :)

Not a spot of flash on that page, all HTML5.

Its an example of just how good HTML5/JS/CSS3 is, some of the tech demos done at Google IO yesterday prove that flash simply is not needed anymore.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
This will be problematic for companies like the BBC reliant on Flash for their products.

We're not going to see the death of flash any time soon. There's no real alternative to it for protected video streaming (other than Silverlight, which is just Microsoft's version of Flash, so hardly different in concept - closed-source browser plugin.).

Actually, I believe HTML5 includes encrypting streams and doesn't cache it to disk...

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
It was inevitable I think, but a shame. Flash can do stuff like no other tech can. HTML5 is not even close.

The nest.com site is a recent example of how beautiful Flash can be (scroll down a bit and turn down the Thermostat on Day 2). Not on an iOS device though... whoops. I wonder if the nest designer (ex designer of the iPod/iPhone) will like that? :)

Ok. I scrolled down to it. Exactly what part of that do you think can't be done with HTML5? (Hint: It could have been done with HTML 3 or 4 and JavaScript.)

Edit: I guess I should have looked at the page's source. Apparently it *is* HTML 5! :eek: :D

The only thing Flash has had going for it since the days of IE 6 were the libraries it had available for developers to make coding certain things easier, and a plug-in which was largely consistent across the major platforms of the day (back when browsers weren't quite so consistent). Since that time, better standards compliance, and additional JavaScript libraries have eaten up most (all?) of that advantage. Flash hasn't been 'necessary' for ages now, and hasn't even been 'better' for about 3-4 years.

Last edited:

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
They're in the "The SGIII is the best phone in the world, and Apple is doomed" forum.

How isn't the Samsung Galaxy SIII the best phone? Lets compare it to the forum favorite iPhone 4S. To name a few things, the international S3 beats the iPhone 4S by having a quad core CPU, a larger and higher resolution display, a slightly better GPU, double the RAM, a larger and user replaceable battery, a micro SD slot, an HDMI port, and has 5ghz WiFi. How does the iPhone win, when every single component is worst than what is on the S3? Also, as for the Apple is doomed stuff, Apple really needs to get their **** together or they will be. The iPhone 4S got around 4 million pre orders last year. The S3 has already gotten over 9 million pre orders!!! The S3 will be the phone of 2012, and if Apple doesn't do something extreme now, which is not likely given their abomination of what they call iOS 6, they will lose.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Wow, the Flash haters are out this morning. I guess it's cool to hate Flash, as in "I hate Flash. I must be a little like Steve Jobs!"

I don't want to hate Flash, but it makes me hate it. It was a big upgrade from RealPlayer or whatever the heck when watching videos online took off. It has since been replaced, though - so why keep it around?

Gee, let me think of the ways it has made me hate it...

* Firefox unresponsive? I open Task Manager or Activity Monitor and see something like "Flash_Plugin" or "Firefox Plugin Process (Shockwave Flash)" is chewing up 100% CPU and usually unresponsive. Kill the task and Firefox resumes.

* Firefox tells me all the time that the Adobe Flash plugin has crashed. This is almost a daily occurrence. Thank goodness it crashes itself before slowing everything down.

* On Windows, you have to check for Flash updates daily, as each version is seems to have exploits developed for it within minutes. Flash (and Java) is a huge malware vector on Windows.

* On the mobile platform, performance is just terrible. If it can bring my 3GHz Quad Core desktop system to its knees, what do you think it's going to do to these ARM systems running at 800-1500 MHz? I made sure to keep it disabled on all my Android devices. Eventually I just removed it. I rarely visit a site that used it.

* Fanboys! "Our platform has Flash, so that makes it better!" - that's like boasting that because your girlfriend has herpes and syphilis, she is obviously a better lover than my girlfriend. Are you kidding me? An entire fanbase taking pride in the fact you have digital diarrhea installed on your device???

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Ooops!!! :eek:
Adobe is apparently committing suicide with Flash.

Apple had a good reason for refusing it; Google (Android) accepted it, and now is being taken away.

I can see phones catching fire while playing Flash content.

In some sense, Adobe is admitting their failure with Flash for the mobile environment. On the desktop environment, Flash is being avoided as much as possible by many, by using plugins or proxies to filter it.

Flash was great until it's use got abused.

Next in line: Javascript.

Whoa, what's wrong with Javascript? Linx?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
What current alternatives are there out there now programmers can use to create as easily the same animated affects/routines/games, that run as fast as flash does?

I'm all for moving on and changing to something more advanced and obviously better.

If there is a platform that is easier to create content, lets say games, and also beautiful vector animations with, that run faster, and are as easy to create than can someone please tell me what it is?

As fast as I see it, you ideally want the main "animation?" program on your computer, coded and running at top speeds and just the data needed to be actually inside the code on the web site.

I'm interested as to what's out there now, and if current flash vector animations will be able to be encoded into this new software/platform really easily so we don't lose content from the past.

I can't believe anyone really wants NOT to be able to view/experience something.

That's a bit like saying burn all the old black and white movies now we have colour.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
where are all the people that said "no Flash on iOS ?! Apple is doomed !" ?

Hehe, indeed. I'm pretty much a full-time Android user now and never installed Flash on it, it's of no use to me - especially not on a mobile device.

kerryn

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Wow, the Flash haters are out this morning. I guess it's cool to hate Flash, as in "I hate Flash. I must be a little like Steve Jobs!"

What an arrogant comment.

Hate is bred from experience. I hate Flash because whenever my macbook becomes slow, unresponsive with the fan in "turbo" mode I usually find that my wife or kids have left some website up that is reliant on Flash. Kill the website and the Macbook carms down.

Flash is a resource hog. If it worked nicely in the system I would not mind it. But it does not and I would love to remove it completely from my systems. However, it seems that my other family members always seem to need websites that rely on it so I am stuck with it.

I long for the day when Flash is gone for good.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Does this mean we no longer have to hear: "No flash? Yeah, that's a deal-breaker right there." from the anti-iOS folks?

Oh well, at least they'll still have: "No removable battery? Yeah, that's a deal-breaker right there."

Don't worry, there are dozens of reasons to hate iOS with a passion, but these few are sufficient for me: iOS is artificially restricted and limited and takes away too much freedom from the user. There's no place for individuality and choice in Apple's brave new iOS world.

I still like Flash and don't need it as an excuse to loathe iOS. Just look at all those nice games from Amanita Designs and you know what great and beautiful things can be done with Flash when you not let a completely incompetent idiot use it.

Anyway. Soon all ad banners will be ported to HTM5 and then you guys will start hating that technology, too. But that's what Jobs wanted in the first place: He wanted to restrict the use of the Internet to apps - apps that you could only obtain from HIS app store. Platform independent technologies like Flash were in his way, and THAT'S why he began the campaign against Flash.

Well, enjoy your expensive, castrated gadgets with their restricted, censored and controlled user experience. I prefer a rough open platform over your shiny walled garden any day.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
How isn't the Samsung Galaxy SIII the best phone? Lets compare it to the forum favorite iPhone 4S. To name a few things, the international S3 beats the iPhone 4S by having a quad core CPU, a larger and higher resolution display, a slightly better GPU, double the RAM, a larger and user replaceable battery, a micro SD slot, an HDMI port, and has 5ghz WiFi. How does the iPhone win, when every single component is worst than what is on the S3? Also, as for the Apple is doomed stuff, Apple really needs to get their **** together or they will be. The iPhone 4S got around 4 million pre orders last year. The S3 has already gotten over 9 million pre orders!!! The S3 will be the phone of 2012, and if Apple doesn't do something extreme now, which is not likely given their abomination of what they call iOS 6, they will lose.

Right...they are doomed. I heard Tim Cook is selling his house, and all his stock as we speak.

Abomination? Yes, I agree. Project "Buttery Smooth" trumps anything in iOS 6.

Seriously though, all you did was spout specs, and nothing else. I would hope that the SGIII would have a better processor, it's brand new. Better specs doesn't automatically equate to better experience. When the next iPhone comes out n the Fall, and it's lacking then we can argue.

Oh, and it's "WORSE" not "WORST".

Last edited:

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland

Nice try... but it's not Flash. It's HTML5.

If the iOS site looks different it is just because they created a different one for tablets & phone that looks better on these devices.

Try again ;)

----------

How isn't the Samsung Galaxy SIII the best phone?(...)

Because it runs Android. Period.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
In the 5 years since the iPhone launched HTML5 has changed a lot.

Yeah, it has changed so much that still nobody wants to use it because it's still not a consolidated, working standard. And when Apple talks about HTML5, they only mean THEIR implementation of HTML5 with THEIR proprietary video codec in it.

The current web browsers still interpret HTML5 code differently and websites still look and behave differently in each browser. That was NEVER a problem with Flash, and it's still a problem with HTML5.

But yeah, HTML5 is ah-so awesome, magical, beautiful because somebody once needed some ammunition to kill a dangerous competing technology that made cross-platform development a no-brainer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.