Adobe Type Manager vs Font Book

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ngcomputing, Mar 20, 2005.

1. ngcomputing macrumors newbie

:confused:

Any advantages of using Adobe Type Manager vs Font Book in OS/X 10.3.x?

Just Curious,

ngcomputing

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I've never heard of Adobe Type Manager, but whatever it is, it gotta be better than Font Book. Font Book blows at managing fonts - it chokes up if you put too many fonts in it. Yeah, sure even Windows chokes if you put in something like 500+ fonts, but Font Book chokes if you only have 100 fonts or something.

But I'd think about holding off on buying anything, Tiger ought to bring improvements to Font Book, and maybe it'll be worth your time then.

3. RacerX macrumors 65832

Adobe never made a version of ATM or ATM Deluxe for Mac OS X. From Adobe's point of view, ATM's main purpose was for font rendering, and font management was a secondary use. In Mac OS X, fonts render wonderfully so Adobe dropped the product for Macs.

The last version was 4.6 for Mac OS 8/9.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Aaah, ATM... R.I.P.

Fontbook is OK for many people but if you're pro try Suitcase X1.

5. ngcomputing thread starter macrumors newbie

Found it here, ATM Deluxe, the system requirements states that it supports OS/X.

http://store.adobe.com/store/products/master.jhtml?id=catATM

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

7. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Siutcase X1 blows fontbook away.

Yep...no ATM for OSX

8. RacerX macrumors 65832

System Requirement:
    • PowerPC® processor
    • Mac OS version 8.1 through 9.2.2
    • 16 MB of RAM for ATM Deluxe; 8 MB of RAM for Adobe® Type Reunion® Deluxe
    • 10 MB of available hard-disk space for ATM Deluxe (73 MB required for custom language installation)
    • 3 MB for Adobe Type Reunion Deluxe (53 MB required for custom language installation)
    • CD-ROM drive
    The link you see that says Mac OS X support was originally there saying why they dropped ATM for Mac OS X and suggesting other applications for it's customers (I recall Adobe suggesting Suitcase originally).

The thing is, ATM Deluxe 4.6 was release back in 1999 (shortly after Mac OS 9 as people quickly found out that 4.5 would cripple a system using Mac OS 9). The system requirements page for ATM hasn't been updated in years while that Mac OS X support link has moved on with the rest of the Adobe product line.

Hope that clears it up a little.

If you are using Mac OS 9 as your primary work environment, I highly recommend ATM Deluxe. I found it much more stable and easy to use than the Mac OS 9 version of Suitcase (which still required ATM to be installed to work correctly).

9. Poogie Bear macrumors member

Is Font Reserve a good alternative to FONT BOOK?
    Or should I buy Suitcase.

10. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I tried font reserve, but didn't like the interface at all....I was extremely confused by that program. :confused:

If you've used ATM before, Suitcase is pretty easy. Even if you haven't, it's easy to learn.

I would recommend Suitcase over Font Reserve any day.