Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
If you only want one app, you can generally subscribe to any of the majors for $19.99 a month. Once you get past two, however, it's not worth the ala carte method.

I looked at Creative Cloud when I needed to get my own copies of Photoshop and Illustrator for web design. I didn't need any of their other apps. I ended up buying the boxed CS6, Creative Cloud's "all or one app" approach is not flexible enough.

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
If you only want one app, you can generally subscribe to any of the majors for $19.99 a month. Once you get past two, however, it's not worth the ala carte method.

thanks, just starting to figure out these options.

blackmoses

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
I looked at Creative Cloud when I needed to get my own copies of Photoshop and Illustrator for web design. I didn't need any of their other apps. I ended up buying the boxed CS6, Creative Cloud's "all or one app" approach is not flexible enough.

My thing with buying boxed vs. "rented" is that with Adobe's commitment to an accelerated release schedule (a new version ever April/May), you'll end up either having to skip every other version or spend far more money to "keep up" with the latest & greatest if it's necessary for your workflow (i.e. if people send you files in the new CS version you don't have yet, which has been a thorn in my side since May).

This is versus spending $39.98 a month on the Creative Cloud plan for Illustrator and Photoshop (and for ten bucks more - I sound like a salesman, apologies) you can get access to InDesign and Acrobat (and more) as/if you need them.

Last edited:

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
My thing with buying boxed vs. "rented" is that with Adobe's commitment to an accelerated release schedule (a new version ever April/May), you'll end up either having to skip every other version or spend far more money to "keep up" with the latest & greatest if it's necessary for your workflow (i.e. if people send you files in the new CS version you don't have yet, which has been a thorn in my side since May).

This is versus spending $39.98 a month on the Creative Cloud plan for Illustrator and Photoshop (and for ten bucks more - I sound like a salesman, apologies) you can get access to InDesign and Acrobat (and more) as/if you need them.

I guess if you plan on buying every upgrade it might make the Cloud more compelling. I was using CS3 before having to buy my own copy when I changed from employed to self employed. I would have been fine continuing to use CS3. The last useful features added to Photoshop for me were the ability to organise layers into folders and being able to set text as more than one colour. :)

blackmoses

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
I guess if you plan on buying every upgrade it might make the Cloud more compelling. I was using CS3 before having to buy my own copy when I changed from employed to self employed. I would have been fine continuing to use CS3. The last useful features added to Photoshop for me were the ability to organise layers into folders and being able to set text as more than one colour. :)

64-bit Photoshop (starting with CS5 on the Mac, a version earlier for PC) was sorely needed. Illustrator CS6 is 64-bit, and that alone would make it worth it for me, especially after spending the last two weeks watching pinwheels as I prep poster print designs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.