Ads for G4 Towers

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by springscansing, Oct 30, 2002.

1. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Yeah.. uh.. how come we don't have any of these? I mean... the iMac ads and switch ads are nice and all... but I swear the IQ of the average mac user dropped 12 points since the iMac was introduced.

No offense to iMac users. ;) My sister has one and it rocks... but half the people that buy it say, "Wow, what a great OS, wonderful system!" And the other half go, "YO, it's like a coo desk lap wasuup!" Soooo... yeah.

But anyway, why not advertise the tower a little? It's so pretty... *grin*

2. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Re: Ads for G4 Towers

1) To hard to sell to someone who does not know Mac in < 30 sec
    2) PowerMac is too much of a niche market

3. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Re: Ads for G4 Towers

I think the people who need one already have one and/or know about what's on offer. The places where we see them dominate are graphic design, video, and music pros. Speaking of, did you ever get that iMic you were looking for? It's been pretty slow over at the Propellerheads board huh?

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The last time a PowerMac was advertised was when the first G4s came out. They had the ad with it spinning around and opening and also my personal favorite the one where they formed the circle of tanks around it to protect it because it was considered a weapon by the US Government for breaking a gigaflop.

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

*wipes a tear from his eye* Ahh, the nostalgia... yes, I remember those days! I'd play the Tanks ad anytime my peecee friends came over and felt like rubbing it in...

I also liked the unofficial G4 Espionage ad that was floating around, too.

And going back even further to the premiere of the El Capitan case with the "Open-Minded" B/W G3 opening to the theme of 2001: A Space Odessey. :D

Whatever happened to those days?

6. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I know I keep a folder of the ads I find. I am so upset, though, because I had a CD that had HEAPS of them on it and I lost the disc. :(

To look WAY back, do you remember the one with the parents who had just bought a dinosaur program for their new PC and they were trying to install it in DOS. The ad ended with them still working away and then asking their son where he was going as he walked out the door to the reply "to the Crandals... they have a Mac"

Or the one with the parents who bought a PC christmas and were trying to set it up......
    "Loading CD into Windows"

"Type vise = c:\DOS"
    "wha wha wha wha what.... where do I find that?"
    "Where do you find what?"

"Type edit a:\"
    "Edit a colon?????"
    "No, edit a : ...... A :"
    "A colon????"
    "The letter a"

"You do not have enough conventional memory free?!"

On support line -
    "There are 27 Callers ahead of us"

"Maybe we've got the wrong installation program"
    "Maybe we got the wrong computer........ did you save the receipt."

ROFLMAO

I used to really love those shoot out contests, though.
    :)

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

With and air of desperation I have found the website that I use to get Apple commercials off of.

http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/

this has a bunch of newer ones including original iMac ads.

http://www.macdom.com/commercials/

some more great ones. (No pun intended. Some of you know what pun I'm referring to.)

http://theapplecollection.com/Collection/AppleMovies/

http://www.geocities.com/appleads/missing.html

This brought back a lot of memories for me. I already had a bunch of these on my computer but to complete the collection is wonderful.

8. pantagruel macrumors regular

hey thanks for all of those links, those bring back some great memories.;)

9. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

That first one has the dinosaurs :) The last one has nothing that works and the third one is HUGE

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

11. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

12. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

The do advertise... just not in places most of us look. Videomaker magazine, for example, carries at least one PM ad just about every issue.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Scem will you just get off of it. This is just your oppinion. Also this thread has little to do with the value of the machine simply the advertising. This is obviously a cheap way to get away with spamming the site to raise your post count and looking like you're actually on topic when you aren't.

Go buy a well put together custom PC with high quality parts and you will pay $3,000+ for a system with the same 2.8Ghz P4 in it that a $800 system has. An Apple is more then the sum of it's parts. If you like the system and you like the machine you buy it for that reason and you never have to worry about the quality of such because you know it's well built and quality tested. Yes there are still a few with failures just like anything but overall they are a well built nice machine.

14. job macrumors 68040

job

I've noticed more published ads for the Power Macs...

The most recent one I can recall was the "Pro Create" ads with the original Quicksilvers...

I remember Wired and Time carrying those ads..