Ads on MR

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by yankeefan24, Mar 16, 2006.

1. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I know that arn needs to make money to support the site, but why does Toshiba currently have a huge campaign on this site? Also, in the past Lenovo had one, etc. Why do these companies pay to put their ads on MR when the amount of people who are going to switch because of those ads are very very very low? It seems a little bit unlogical on the side of these companies.

Also, does MR make more money from the ads, or the $25 per year for a contributer? How much does arn charge for ad space?

I know, i am just very curious tonight, but this has been on my topic for a while.

-yankeefan

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

afaik they're just google ads, which is why they're often completely unrelated to mr :)

3. yankeefan24 thread starter macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

good point. But i think that they can choose if they want the ads displayed or not. But i don't know ads.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The ads are selected by software, which isn't always matching the ad or vendor to the purpose of each site where they appear. As I understand it, we can avoid certain ads but otherwise get a mix of them.

Yes and yes.

Contact ads@macrumors.com to ask about this.

That's fine. After all, if it weren't for curiosity, we wouldn't have landed on the moon and we wouldn't have news outlets telling us what Britney Spears had for breakfast. ;)

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I think Toshiba and Lenovo simply ran large ad campaigns across the internet, and not specifically targetting MacRumors. These sort of campaigns are typically more about branding/exposure than any particular conversion rate, I believe.

As for the $25 vs money made on ad revenue on an individual. It's hard to run the numbers on something like that, but offhand, I'm pretty sure $25 is more than a typical individual generates in ad revenue.

arn