adsl modem recommendations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ibook4a, Jan 10, 2007.

1. ibook4a macrumors member

Hi,

I'm in the UK and my isp is BT. I plan on purchasing the new airport extreme when its available in februrary. At the moment i'm using a belkin 54g modem/router but as i understand it the airport extreme is just a router.

So could anyone recommend to me a good adsl modem? preferably one which will give me gigabit ethernet.

The only one that i can find that hasnt got a router built in is this one:

http://www-uk.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=UK%2FLayout&cid=1159309560020&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Regards,

Alex

2. Queso macrumors G4

This router contains an ADSL/ADSL2+ modem, as well as 802.11n wireless, which I would definitely recommend now that manufacturers are starting to use it.

3. ibook4a thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response,

That model looks pretty good.
    Whats the difference between adsl2+ and adsl?
    I don't think i have adsl2+ but will it work anyway?

I was originally hoping to get the airport extreme, simply because its made my apple and i think it looks cool :) but i don't which modem to put before it.

Would plugging the new airport extreme straight into my belkin modem/router work, and if it does will i notice a hit in speed?

Alex

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

What you can actually do is either...
    1) hook the WAN port Airport Extreme to the ethernet ports on to the one of the ethernet ports on your existing Belkin and use the increased wireless speed, range, and print/file sharing capabilities of your Airport Extreme
    2) (not sure if this will work for the Airport) hook one of the airport's ethernet ports to another ethernet port on the belkin, and use the airport as a wireless bridge. Not sure if the print/file sharing works though.

5. ibook4a thread starter macrumors member

I'm thinking option 1 - 2 looks complicated and I'd like to keep it a simple and as functional as possible. + i'm far from an expert on setting up network stuff.

My main concern is speed, i'm only on a 512k line at the moment and i want to squeeze every ounce of speed possible so will doing what you suggest in option 1 slow down my connection at all?

Also, i won't be able to take advantage of these wireless n speeds if the output from the belkin to the airport extreme is only 100mb/s?

6. Queso macrumors G4

ADSL 2+ is a newer standard that currently goes up to about 18Mbps in the UK, and will probably go faster in the future, but it uses the same interface as regular ADSL (which tops out at 8Mbps). I checked the datasheet on that Linksys and the electronics for the WAN port support both regular ADSL and ADSL2+ standards, so even if you have regular now, it's future proof.

7. ibook4a thread starter macrumors member

oh good :)

Thanks for all the replies but does anyone know if i'll lose speed plugging it straight into the belkin? Bearing in mind that the belkin does not have gigabit ethernet