ADSL Modem/Router to AirPort Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ThinkingMac, Oct 7, 2005.

1. ThinkingMac macrumors member

I have an Apple Airport Extreme wireless network and at last I have ADSL. I have a Netgear DG632 ADSL Modem/Router. How do I connect the Netgear to the Airport to give all my Macs wireless access to the ADSL? Some said I just plug a crossover Ethernet cable from the Ethernet port on the Netgear to the WAN port on the Airport basestation, is this correct ?

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

To my knowledge thats pretty much what you do (sorry I have no experience with Apple Airport base stations). Read the manual that came with it or wait for someone with experience to answer

3. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Yes that's right.

You might not even need a crossover cable - a lot of modern gear is autosensing nowadays, so a plain ethernet cable will do.

Before connecting them together check that each one individually works.

Check that the Airport network works - i.e. that your apples can see each other and the base station.

Take one of your apples, and turn off the airport card, and plug the computer straight into the router with a network cable. It's easier to do the preliminary setting up without the extra hassle of going through the wireless stuff.

Plug in the router to the mains, plug it into your computer, and open up a web browser on your computer screen.

A lot of routers have their own little webserver inside them, and when you type in their IP address into the browser ( the IP address looks something like 192.161.1.1) you will get a web page full of techie router stuff.

You might get asked for a password before you can see the page. Check the manual for the correct IP address and for the default password.

Once you've got that router configuration webpage up in Safari or Firefox, you can enter the settings your ADSL ISP gave you, and plug the router into your ADSL phone line

If the router can't connect to your ADSL service, try unplugging all other phones / fax machines for now, you might have a broken microfilter (happened to me). Microfilters go between the outside line and voice phones / fax maxhine, NOT between the outside line and the router.

Hopefully by now you're getting internet on your single computer (getting it all working might take a while, better bookmark that router configuration werbpage).

Plug in the airport into the router, (i don't think you need the WAN socket - any ethernet socket will do) and sort out the configurations on the airport and the router.

Hope you can work out the rest yourself.

cheers

RedTomato